PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Julidochromis species

The Wedge
07-03-2008, 01:51 AM
I am looking into dickfieldi or transcriptus for my 30 gallon...can't decide

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 05:05 AM
Stick with transcriptus, they're smaller and somewhat less aggressive than dickfeldi. Also less likely to kill each other, just avoid the "Gombi" variant.

The Wedge
07-03-2008, 05:52 AM
Woops I ordered six F1 transcriptus Gombi...

toddnbecka
07-03-2008, 06:21 AM
The Gombi are a matter of debate as to whether they're a transcriptus or marlieri variant. In any case, their temprament is more like a larger species. I picked up 2 different groups of them, 5 and 6, months apart. I ended up with a single survivor from the first group, 2 from the second. Due to size differences the second group was raised in the 29, though the first group grew out in a 55. You'll know when they're maturing by the sudden deaths of otherwise healthy fish. Tank size seems irrelevant, it's strictly survival of the toughest.
Incidentally, I did end up with a pair when the two survivors from the 29 were moved into the 55. I found a single fry when I was cleaning the tank one day, presumably the rest were eaten by tankmates. The wee one was placed into a plastic floating breeding box with a bit of gravel and a fake plant for cover. I figured to keep it in there until it grew to a decent size, but it went over the top when it got tired of the confinement. I sold off the pair along with my group of Paracyp's quite some time ago, but the fry (long since fully grown) is still in the 55. He faces down Hap's much larger than he is, and certainly gets his share at feeding time.