PDA

View Full Version : Can i put dalmation mollies in with a male betta?

emjay77
07-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I have a friend who has mollies in with his betta male, but my tank is only 35litres. Just wanted to know if they would be ok and what would be my max stock level. Also would my betta be ok if i added a little aquarium salt?(Betta is siamese fighter.)

Gemstone
07-03-2008, 09:47 AM
I don't know about the mollies...but the aquarium salt will be fine with the betta...as a matterof fact he will thrive in a very lightly salty environment...*S*....mine did.

Lady Hobbs
07-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Not enough room for more fish in there.

Fishalicious
07-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Betta's already don't really want any company as it is but one of their biggest hates are fast swimming nervous fish like Mollies, Platies or Guppies. Only thing I would ever attempt with a betta are smaller corydoras or otocinclus or snails. Even then it depends on the betta - some are very relaxed and others won't tolerate anything at all with them in the tank. I had a male rip off the top fin on a corydoras...but have had other betta's where it has gone well with corydoras.

donvichu
07-03-2008, 03:23 PM
I would first suggest you to heavily plant your aquarium or provide more hiding places..my male female betta pairs are in 2 tanks heavily planted...one has male and female betta,red zebra danios and pleco and the other tank has betta pair with tiger barbs,serpae tetra and platies and ofcourse pleco.they both are going good for methumbs2:...mo;;ies and guppies are bad idea as they nip at bettas tail

Gemstone
07-03-2008, 04:37 PM
I would first suggest you to heavily plant your aquarium or provide more hiding places..my male female betta pairs are in 2 tanks heavily planted...one has male and female betta,red zebra danios and pleco and the other tank has betta pair with tiger barbs,serpae tetra and platies and ofcourse pleco.they both are going good for methumbs2:...mo;;ies and guppies are bad idea as they nip at bettas tail

ahhhhh...thanks for that one...I was wondering what I could put in there....would a few neon tetras work too??

donvichu
07-04-2008, 10:26 AM
genrally a school of tetras and bettas do go well but a community betta tank works based on the betta's attitude......

Gemstone
07-04-2008, 06:16 PM
.....and a few kuhli loaches?

donvichu
07-05-2008, 04:37 AM
.....and a few kuhli loaches?

Yup they work too..thumbs2:

Kula
08-03-2008, 09:36 AM
You have to take into consideration your betta's personality, the size of the tank, and what kind of hiding spaces/plants you're going to use. If the tank is heavily planted and you have a bunch of hiding spots, it would probably be okay to put a betta in with some mollies (as long as it's not a super aggressive betta).

I want kuhli loaches! :1luvu:

allaboutfish
09-17-2008, 11:01 PM
I have a friend who has mollies in with his betta male, but my tank is only 35litres. Just wanted to know if they would be ok and what would be my max stock level. Also would my betta be ok if i added a little aquarium salt?(Betta is siamese fighter.)

I would say that you'll need to have at least 20 gallon tank and than there will be possibility that they'll live normally.