PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tank Emergency!

Cichlid_Man
12-11-2006, 08:28 PM
I need some quick advice...
About an hour ago I heard a loud snapping noise that sounded like an electrical outlet sparked or something. I looked all over the house and discovered that the fish tank heater in my cichlid tank exploded!

The water has gone down from 80 to 78 in an hour.
Is there anything I can do to keep the water warm enough until my wife can bring home a new heater? I live too far from town.
She should be home by 7pm.

Will the fish get Ich or anything else from the temp dropping?

I cannot get the house up to 80 degrees because I have a fireplace for heat.
The house usually only gets up to about 74

Thanks!!

NO NEED TO ANSWER THIS I FIXED THE SITUATION.
I PUT A HEATER IN THE ROOM WITH FISH AND THE ROOM IS AT 82 NOW.

Abbeys_Mom
12-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Glad you found a solution. I can't believe how many heaters have exploded lately.

Cichlid_Man
12-11-2006, 09:37 PM
Glad you found a solution. I can't believe how many heaters have exploded lately.

Hi Abbeys Mom...

The thing is called a Visi-Therm heater.
The warranty is for life so I get a new one free.

Still, I was worried for a minute till I composed myself.

P.S.
When I posted in the name the fish game...I figured out what happened.
I have slow dial up Internet, and I guess the others were posting as I was.

I fixed it

Abbeys_Mom
12-11-2006, 09:41 PM
No problem. I didn't mean to come across as the game nazi. I personally haven't had heaters explode. I was referring to other on the forum complaining. I am in need of a heater currently, so I will look in to getting Visi-Therm heater or the stealth ones that I heard recommended.

Cichlid_Man
12-11-2006, 09:46 PM
No problem. I didn't mean to come across as the game nazi. I personally haven't had heaters explode. I was referring to other on the forum complaining. I am in need of a heater currently, so I will look in to getting Visi-Therm heater or the stealth ones that I heard recommended.

Yes, get the stealth..I don't trust the visi-therm deluxe anymore...

kimmers318
12-12-2006, 01:30 AM
That would not be a fun time having a heater go like that! I would probably be in a panic.

Cichlid_Man
12-12-2006, 01:45 AM
That would not be a fun time having a heater go like that! I would probably be in a panic.

Oh trust me Kimmers...
I DID panic :-)

I didn't know what the noise was, and something told me to go check the fish tank.
I first looked at the temp and saw it was 78 and I keep it at 82.
I knew then it was the heater that made the snapping noise.
What is real weird is that I put my hand in the tank to see if I could grab the control on the heater and raise it not knowing at that time the heater was cracked in half..
I wonder why none of the fish were electricuted. I imagine it had some kind of auto shut off.
I did panic.
Thank goodness the fish are ok. I don't think a few hours at 78 degrees would bring on Ich. The water is of good quality and the fish are strong and healthy.

Abbeys_Mom
12-12-2006, 03:10 AM
Fish aren't grounded. That is why they don't get electrocuted. I learn that the hard way. The canopy on one of our fish tanks fell in breaking the bulb. I figured the fish were ok, it was safe to reach in. That's a mistake you will never make twice.