PDA

View Full Version : African Dwarf Frog [Swollen Abdomen]

KazAndMac
07-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Can anyone advise me please? I have had my African Dwarf Frogs for 18 months. They have been very healthy. For four weeks now, my female frog's abdomen appears to be distended and appears to be becoming more so as time goes on. Her legs are not swollen as is described in dropsy. She appears to be acting normally and still eating. Can anyone advise me please?

fishymommy
07-09-2008, 01:00 AM
I don't know much about frogs and don't know any sort of gestation period but is there any chance she may be pregnant? I have only one dwarf frog so have never had this sort of issue.. Sorry if this is unhelpful. Good luck with your frog!

spudbuds
07-09-2008, 01:10 AM
I've had a frog do that and I think it was dropsy. It didn't last very long once the swelling got too big. What have you been feeding it?

- Bill

nwnittany
07-09-2008, 01:54 AM
Interestingly, I just lost one yesterday with very similar symptoms. The torso was bloated, but the legs/arms were normal. He was acting very normal and I didn't think it was dropsy, but maybe it was.

I don't have great advice for you, other than to say that maybe it's something to watch and read up on...Sorry I couldn't help more and hope he pulls through..

Commodore 64
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Constipation maybe? Have you tried feeding them some peas? http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_constipated_fish.php

I just had to do this for one of my Sydontis cats, it looked like it was going to explode. I fed some chopped up, blanched peas and the next morning, it was skinny again.

I'm not 100% sure it was constipation, but you might give it a try.