PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish died

letk0
07-01-2008, 12:12 AM
I recently purchased an angelfish on Saturday and came home today to find it floating sideways in some plants. I checked the conditions and found the following:

40 Gallons
Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = 0 ppm
Nitrate = 10 ppm
pH = 7.8

Tankmates: 5 rasboras, 2 dwarf gouramis, 5 panda corys

I acclimated the fish for an hour (probably should have used the drip method). It looked lively the first couple of days, but later in the afternoon on Sunday it seemed to hide the entire time. The tank is now 1.5 months old, so maybe I just have to let it mature longer before I decide on a replacement. One more note, the angelfish seemed to float at the surface right in the current of water exiting the filter. Maybe it was stressed by the current being to strong? If anyone has some insight into the possible cause of death I would appreciate it. Thanks.

smaug
07-01-2008, 12:14 AM
Ill get alot of disagreements on this ,in a nutshell it was your ph that did it.Anything higher then 7.3 is too high to reliably keep angelfish.Sorry about your loss.

Lady Hobbs
07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
And here comes one of them! LOL I kept angels for over a year in 7.6. They spawned like rabbits and grew nicely and I never, ever had one even get ill. They are only not with me now because I gave them away.

Lady Hobbs
07-01-2008, 12:22 AM
PS......there was someone else here not long ago that said their angel got caught in some plastic bushy-type plants. They need plants they can swim thru, like the tall variety and not the bushy type. Sounds like yours had swim bladder.

ladyoutlaw50
I am very sorry for your loss!!!

Fishalicious
I know loads of people who keep Angels in a high PH with sucess so I reckon it might have already been ill & weak when you bought it seeing your parameters are fine.

smaug
07-01-2008, 12:24 AM
And here comes one of them! LOL I kept angels for over a year in 7.6. They spawned like rabbits and grew nicely and I never, ever had one even get ill. They are only not with me now because I gave them away.
Congrats on that Lady.Around here they wont make it with a ph that high.Must be something in the water:c12:

donvichu
07-01-2008, 01:58 AM
Sorry about your loss...........This is the info I got when my new fishes died mysteriously.......especially new fish the death could be due to intestinal nematode worms...when fishes are being transported in containers they are starved to reduce waste in water so their immunity is down and these worms start eating them from inside...though you feed them once you put in the aquarium the worm is still there...so the remedy being feeding the fish garlic for atleast 6 weeks..:22:

letk0
07-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really have any plants that it couldn't swim through, but the swim bladder is a possibility. Now I have to decide if I would like to try and replace it or find a new species of fish that is a bit heartier, but is larger than 3".

shiel85
07-01-2008, 04:11 AM
Sorry about the loss. It's unlikely the filtration caused enough stress to kill your lil guy, but if it's any help, I notice that my angel mostly stays on opposite end of 55g tank from hob filter.

bluekrissyspikes
07-01-2008, 11:11 PM
i've had this problem with angels a bunch of times. they misteriously die a couple days after being introduced to my tank... i finally got one to live and it's thriving so don't give up.