PDA

View Full Version : Rams with Apistos?

Tolley
06-29-2008, 06:03 PM
I have been wondering for ages if you can keep Rams ( GBR or Bolivian ) with Apistos like Cockatoos macmasteris borellis e.t.c?

Does anybody know? and any extra info like group sizes and tank sizes?

Thanks, Tolley.

fins_n_fur
06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, I believe you can with most apistos. Not sure about the Macmasteri though, if memory serves that can be more aggressive than the other apistos, but that might only be during breeding. Putting a male with 1-3 females, a harem, is usually the suggested grouping.

Tolley
06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
ok thanks

if i ever find a good deal on some would any fit my 50g? 36x18x18 good width and has lots of wood and rocks

It has 3 Bolvian Rams, Would it be ok just getting one? should it be male or female?

Is there any other apistos to stay away from?

This is all just for future reference.

country_boy454
06-29-2008, 07:13 PM
I have my Macmasteri female with a pair of Golden Rams. They seem fine so far. In fact they swim all over together!

Tolley
06-29-2008, 07:14 PM
A couple more, is a stable ph of 7.0 Good enough for apistos?
My temperature is 83 f for the rams. if aa had an apisto would i need higher/lower?

Thanks countryboy!

country_boy454
06-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Well currently my ph is stable at about 7.4. They are starting to breed in it so I would think 7 is good enough for them. I think you would need to dial the temp down a bit. My Gold Ram tank is at 79-80 and the Apisto seems to like it. They say a max of 28-30 degrees C(but not long at 30 C), so I think that is about 80-82 F?

Dave66
06-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Tolley,
Your pH is OK, but what are the gH and kH? Reason I ask is you'll get more milage out of the rams and apistos if it's soft.
Apistos do best in the mid to upper 70's, like say 75 to 77. Haven't kept my Apistos at Ram temps, but I wouldn't chance it, as the Apistos come from shaded jungle streams and thus are accustomed to more moderate temperatures.

Dave

Fishalicious
06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
They go well together - I keep both in same tanks as well

I would indeed bring the temp down to at least 80F which is a temp both love.

It depends on the type of Apisto you want as to what water parameters... cacatouides, macmasteri, borelli will do well in your water parameters

Tolley
06-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for your answer all very helpful.

Sorry Dave i do know my gh and kh.

If i ever have the chance of getting an apisto i might bring my temp down to 80 and see if the rams are still doing good in it before hand.

Spyder
06-29-2008, 08:32 PM
I have a 125g with Bolivian Rams, Blue Rams, Macmasteri, Borellis & trifasciata without problems. The tank is heavily planted with lot's of dither fish and I keep the temp at 79.

DCguy
06-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Rams and apistos are commonly kept together without many problems. I can't think of a time when I couldn't achieve some degree of success keeping them together, however, there have been situations when breeding is not possible with certain combinations of species. It is really tough to make blanket statements about which species are best together on a behavior basis since each fish has its own personality. I think it is best not to start with a wish list but with a list of what is actually available to you. Most of us acquire dwarf cichlids based on what is available not what we dream of owning.

Your pH is fine as long as it is stable and you are not trying to breed a difficult black water species. However, the high temp can be a problem. Some Apistos do fine in hot temps while others will not do as well. Most can tolerate high temps and often will grow much faster. However, high temps will dramatically shorten life span and can have a serious impact on sex ratios for fry.

Once you have identified a source for your Apistos you can do some research on that particular species to determine if the temp is a problem.

DC

Tolley
06-30-2008, 02:45 PM
thank you both

Incredulous_Ed
06-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Go ahead, it should be fine. Sorry to hear that your other ram bit the dust :(

I would lower the temp to 79f. I have rams that do great at that temp and its not too hot for apistos either. Also you may want to add some peat to the filter to help lower the ph and gardness a bit.