PDA

View Full Version : Banana plant question

Lady Hobbs
06-29-2008, 01:41 PM
First, I will move this thread if this is not where this plant goes.

I had a stem that was about 6 inches straight up yesterday. This morning I wake up to see it is at the top of the water surface. This thing grew 6 inches since yesterday. After all that growing, here is this little dinky leaf just starting to open. Are these things supposed to do this?

I hope you enjoy the nice "crust" I always have at the top of my water line from my stinking hard water and the really blurry picture. :)

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Yup, that is exactly what they do. They will shoot up long stems with smallish leaves. They will get a bit bigger eventually. IMO, they are not the prettiest plant available.

Lady Hobbs
06-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Amazing how the ugly ones grow the best.

toysrus
02-05-2010, 04:03 PM
Will they grow in betta tank without a filter?
I couldn't find a thread on snails. With a search engine google, Ac, or anywhere.
So here goes, do snails survive in the same kind of tank?

Rue
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I find it remarkable that anything can grow that fast! Cell division must be astronomical! thumbs2:

Your water line looks like our water line...I miss having soft water...and I've hard water most of my life...:hmm3grin2orange:

toddnbecka
02-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Banana plants are basically a dwarf water lily, and do better with a fair amount of light. The roots really should be buried in the substrate.

toysrus
02-05-2010, 06:23 PM
My banana plant only grew another lily pad, I've seen others that float on the top with tan bananas.They strangely reminded me of coconuts :jumpgreen:.
But mine rests on the bottom and has roots now and the 6 inch vine is changing colors,first it was a variation of greenish,and now it's turning purplish on the tip.

You can stop laughing now

Scrup
02-05-2010, 06:27 PM
My banana's haven't got what it takes to make it the 30" to the top of my tank, at least not yet.

Great looking tank lady hobbs!