PDA

View Full Version : German Blue Rams Question

Anomaly
06-29-2008, 12:27 AM
While at the LFS today browsing fish to purchase in the future for our 36g bowfront, we became quite interested in German Blue Rams. We plan on adding at least 5 to 6 more Neon Tetras at least along with 10 or so Lemon Tetras. The guy we spoke with told us that German Blue Rams would go well with our planned stock and that they only get a bit agressive while breeding but don't do anything more than give a small chase - nothing too bad.

So, what do you think . . . would German Blue Rams be a good addition to our tank? Thanks! :thumb:

travie
06-29-2008, 01:49 AM
They should be fine in your tank. They are a cichlid so they will get territorial and mildly aggressive. You would best try to get GBR's that are not Asian bred because they are injected with hormones that will shorten their lifespan.

Incredulous_Ed
06-29-2008, 03:01 AM
Yeah, they would make a good centerpiece fish. Just make sure where the rams are imported from. If they are imported from asia, dont get them, because they usually come very unhealthy and die within a few week. Rams that come from Europe are very good quality. Locally bred ones are good too.

LosC
06-29-2008, 03:57 AM
Great choice, I hope you do a fishless cycle on your new tank. Don't add all GBR's at once. Give them lots of caves and meaty foods. Oh and some good filtration.

Anomaly
06-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Thank you very much for the great advice everyone, especially about the care and finding out where they're imported from. We're currently cycling our tank with the existing stock using BioSpira and filter media from an established tank. We won't be adding any fish until the cycle's complete. Thanks!

Dixie
07-01-2008, 06:13 PM
I think you need a source of ammonia for the tank to cycle. Maybe not with the biospira though, I've never used it.

sushant
07-01-2008, 06:44 PM
i have kept them with neon tetras and never had any problem.

Anomaly
07-01-2008, 10:10 PM
I think you need a source of ammonia for the tank to cycle. Maybe not with the biospira though, I've never used it.

You add fish when you put the Bio-Spira in and the fish provide the ammonia for the bacteria to feed on. We're cycling using Bio-Spira and our exiting stock of fish.

Thanks sushant for the advice.:thumb:

Incredulous_Ed
07-02-2008, 07:02 PM
Be sure to let us know how it goes!