PDA

View Full Version : Sand in a freshwater tank

kufan
12-10-2006, 05:29 AM
I'm considering replacing my rock in my aquariums with sand. My question is, has anyone done this? If so where did they get their sand and did they have any problems?

I went to petco and talked to an employee there, and he suggested that I use sandblasting sand, as it was cheap (college has me on a limited budget), and that I could get a large amount of it when comparing it cost wise, as opposed to buying actual freshwater sand. He just told me that I will have wash the sand quite a few times before I put it in.

Thanks for the help ahead of time.

KU

crackatinny
12-10-2006, 06:20 AM
My nephew has sand, looks great, but he finds that his oscar only has to flick its tail on the bottom and the water clouds, I guess it would come down to how course the sand is.

Lady Hobbs
12-10-2006, 06:36 AM
I see sand-blasting sand recommended all over the internet. You will have to rinse it well of course. Others on a budget get sand at Home Depot for about $6 for 50 pounds. Once again, it must be rinsed several times and don't turn your water pumps on until it has settled. Sand getting in the pumps will wreck them. You need to make sure your strainer is about 3 inches from the sand so it doesn't get sucked up into the pump.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I was also thinking of laying a piece of slate under the strainer to prevent sand from getting sucked up but it shouldn't be a problem if it isn't too low.

I want more coreys and coreys love sand. Gravel is hard on their bellies and they get scratched on it. Your water will cloud up and probably be unslightly for a few hours but let it settle down and then turn your pumps on.

Fishguy2727
12-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Smooth, rounded gravel is fine for cories.

I went with Estes' Marine Sand with my 150. It is not actually marine sand (it is silica based, not calcium carbonate) so it won't affect pH or anything. All you have to do with that one is soak it. It is made for aquariums so it is not too dirty at all. I keep intakes no more than half way down the tank to avoid sand from getting in them. Whatever sand you pick, it would be a lot better to do it when setting up a tank. I soaked mine properly and it still took almost a day before I could start a filter, even then I used an older Fluval instead of a good new one, just in case the sand killed it. If putting sand in an established tank, you may be in for a headache.

Neithan
12-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Good to see that sand as a substrate is catching on. I have blasting sand in two of my tanks and it definitely looks better than normal gravel.

How have you guys solved the aeration of it? Malaysian trumpet snails are highly recommended here for that job, as you don't have to poke it once or twice a week and they leave the plants alone. :thumb:

Abbeys_Mom
12-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I have a coarse river sand in my tank, it's more chipped rock then real sand. I was warned that sand (like play sand for sand boxes) is not recommended for aquariums for a host of reasons. Mine is a mix or a terracotta colour and black, looks really neat.

kimmers318
12-11-2006, 03:15 AM
I have changed over 2 tanks from gravel to sand now, and love it in both. Neither tank took more than 1/2 hour or so to settle down and I kept gravel in mesh bags in both to avoid any amm. or nitrite spikes. I have used the carib sea sand, both the black and the white. I prefer the black, but since I had the white I chose to mix a little white in with the black and it looks pretty cool.

Neithan
12-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Black and white substrate, now that I would like to see a picture of. Pretty please? :)

Fishguy2727
12-12-2006, 03:40 PM
I have lots of pictures here:
http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c207/reptileguy2727/?sc=1&multi=7

Abbeys_Mom
12-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Nice, looks like salt and pepper.

Severus
12-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Very nice tanks

Neithan
12-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Looks nice! Will have to remember that next time I set up a tank :thumb:

Severus
12-13-2006, 04:32 AM
my next tank the substrate is definitly going to be sand

cyane
12-13-2006, 05:18 AM
hey reptile guy, i love your tank set-up. much better then mine. what kind of tank is that, freshwater or saltwater??

holbritter
12-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I'm a newbie, so I don't know that much about sand except what I have.

At first I tried the play sand from Home Depot. It didn't work out at all, and when wet, I didn't like the color. Drained tank and started over!

From recommendations, I went to a pool supply store and bought pool filter sand. About $5 for a 50 pound bag. The pool filter sand is a little courser(sp?) than others.
Rinsed a few times and it's great so far :) And the color stayed lighter than the other also (not looking like mud)

Fishguy2727
12-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I chose the Estes' Marine sand for a number of reasons. I KNOW it is safe and made for aquarium use. It comes in a variety of colors. It is chemically inert (over 99% silica if I remember right). And the only prep is soaking it.

All my tanks are freshwater. I'm guessing you are talking about the 150 with the Peacocks from Lake Malawi in Africa.

jman
12-13-2006, 08:50 PM
sand looks great i recommend it because it looks a tad bit more natural.

Fishguy2727
12-13-2006, 08:59 PM
It is much more natural. The average size gravel would actually be from a relatively high energy stream, not the calmer waters most aquarium fish are used to. Not high energy as in rapids, just swifter than would allow sand to settle, and most aquarium fish are not too thrilled about that kind of constant movement.