PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Fishalicious
06-26-2008, 02:29 PM
My little one just came home from school for his summer holidays for 6 weeks and with him a bag and little glass tank - the classroom goldfish!!!!!!!!!! I took one look at the glass tank and the fish and was puzzled that they even fit in there...it looks like a 7 gallon. They are 2 Comets.

I have just now put them in a 120 Gallon tank I still had empty <they are quite shocked at the room LOL>

Anyways - the last time I had a goldfish I was 3 years old and I have no clue... what temp should they be at? What do they eat? They keep biting in the sand substrate and I am worried they are going to choke ...

Instead of hunting the internet I thought I would ask the goldfish experts here...

Am also worried about keeping them in the 120 Gallon seeing they have to go back to the 7 Gallon in 6 weeks.... wondering if it might be cruel to give them all this room just for them to have it taken away again..? Anyone any thoughts?

Fishguy2727
06-26-2008, 02:36 PM
Room temp is ideal.

The seven gallon is not really an option. It is too small for even one fancy goldfish, definitely far from adequate for a couple comets. Do you know anyone with a pond?

They naturally sift through the substrate in search of food, so this is natural and sand is ideal for them.

Mine just get New Life Spectrum and don't bother the plants (this is significant). But if you don't have that there are lots of other things they are happy to eat. Diet is covered very well in the sticky goldfish article I wrote at the top of this forum and in my blog. (Don't worry, I covered much more than NLS.)

That article should help a lot with every aspect of their care. Check it out and post any other questions you get.

What foods do you have for them now?

Fishalicious
06-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Well seeing it is a shock surprise they are even here I only have in the house what I feed my tropical fish - an array of dry foods (hikari, ocean nutrition), Spirinula flakes, Frozen: bloodworms, white mosquito larvae, black mosquito larvae, mysis, chopped mussels, daphnia, cyclops, Brine shrimp.
Live: white mosquito larvae, daphnia, brine shrimp

I do have friends with ponds but I have no problem with them taking my 120 gallon for 6 weeks... just worried about them going back to the 7 gallon. I cannot dictate to the school what they should do but only advise. Is it cruel to give them this much room just for them to go back to a tiny tank? I also have an empty 20 gallon ....

I have thrown in loads of leftover plants from my other tanks and I don't mind if they eat them....

I will go and read your article

Fishguy2727
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
Okay I missed part of that. I thought he had won them (too common around here).

I think the best option is to do the research and print some stuff out explaining how bad that size tank is for the goldfish. Hopefully they will grow like crazy and won't fit back in it, forcing the school to look into something like a betta.

Don't do as much on the live and frozen, but the spirulina flakes and assorted tropical foods should be fine. The plants are great because they will have something to constantly graze on.

fins_n_fur
06-26-2008, 02:57 PM
If you can find someone willing to take the goldfish for a pond or suitably sized tanks, it's probaby the best thing for you and the fish. If your wee one needs to return to school with fish, you might get some fish that are suitable for a smaller tank...be a nice way to educate the kids about how big goldfish get (where was the teacher's brain at the start of the project) and how to keep another type fish, like SA cichlids. Think of all of the kids (beginner hobbyists) that could learn from this. Just a thought.

Not surprised that he brought them home LOL Probaby thought they'd be perfect additions to Mermaid's collection.

Fishalicious
06-26-2008, 07:32 PM
I will definately talk with the teacher after the holidays... I have a lovely betta here they can have or a tank of shrimp might be cute for kids... I can place the goldfish with a friend who has a pond but of course I need to talk with the school first LOL

They have gone from a greyish orangy color to a vibrant eye blinding neon orange in the last 3 hours and have eaten well... they are only using up the space of about 10 gallons in the 120 gallon tank .. and seem a bit scared to venture out of the corner...I hope they enjoy the space and use it soon...

Being a photo freak a couldn't leave it and took some quick snaps of the little guys/gals

http://Fishalicious.smugmug.com/photos/320462752_bSD3X-L.jpg

http://Fishalicious.smugmug.com/photos/320462760_3DXM3-L.jpg

http://Fishalicious.smugmug.com/photos/320461769_iGcEC-L.jpg

To me since coloring up they look amazingly healthy for having been stuck in a tank they can barely turn in - which of course doesn't make it right... am just surprised

fins_n_fur
06-26-2008, 07:34 PM
they look beautiful...kind of wish I had a pond now LOL but probably a good thing I don't LOL

ladyoutlaw50
06-26-2008, 07:35 PM
They are very nice looking fish!!! Good luck and keep us updated

sandy_n
06-26-2008, 09:31 PM
You're right. They do look fantastic for being in such a small tank.

Tolley
06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Wow those goldfish don't know how luckky they are turning up on your doorstep! thumbs2:

Good Luck with them

sktadood13
06-27-2008, 12:57 AM
wow those goldfish our probly thanking you with there vibrent aray(spelling?) of colorsthumbs2:

digital3
06-27-2008, 04:03 AM
Man Jess, leave it to you... Even fish you technically, "don't know about..." end up looking kick-@$$ after a few hours of your "Tender Loving Care."

You never cease to amaze me!

cocoa_pleco
06-27-2008, 04:12 AM
dang, those are show quality!

donvichu
06-27-2008, 06:59 AM
wow those goldies look awesome...they r lucky to have reached responsible hands...I guess you r going to talk to the teacher and get those fishes where they belong..nice photos :thumb: