PDA

View Full Version : help me identify my gobies

Whitney
12-10-2006, 12:04 AM
Hi,

I just got two freshwater gobies from a local aquarium shop.....They were labelled as "clown" gobies- but clown gobies listed on the web look very different and are saltwater.

I have been doing some "freshwater goby" searches and come up with nothing...perhaps you guys will be able to help.

They are about 1.5 inches long- very light, marbled grey (almost white)- with a black stripe running vertically down their bodies from their dorsal fins- and another black stripe across their faces that make them look like they're wearing sunglasses- they also have a touch of yellow on the tips of their dorsal fins.

Thanks for your help.

kimmers318
12-10-2006, 04:14 AM
The only gobies I have researched are the bumblebee, which are brackish. If they are in the same family they are probably brackish also....brackish isn't saltwater....it is where a combination of freshwater and saltwater occur naturally creating fluctuations in the salinity levels.
Always take anything you hear or are told at a petstore with a grain of salt....they don't have a problem with telling you what they want to hear to make a sale. And alot of the time the employees just don't know!
Also, be cautious about common names, anyone can attach a common name to a fish. I admit....I have the dangdest time with scientific names, but always try to have it at least written down when I am looking for something specific.
Good luck, and once you figure out what you actually have let us know, and post a pic if you can. Always love to see fish!

Whitney
12-10-2006, 06:03 AM
I know what brackish is.

There are actually some truly freshwater gobies....I'm not sure if these guys are, but if I can ID them, then I can figure it out...

I took a picture of one of them....maybe this will help.....

Lady Hobbs
12-10-2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10goby.htm

These are the only two I could find.....one being to bumble-bee. I searched and searched and found nothing else.

Whitney
12-10-2006, 07:27 AM
I've found out what kind of goby they are...here's a link....

http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=11817

It says that they live in both freshwater and brackish environments in Asia

kimmers318
12-11-2006, 03:20 AM
Those are some cool looking little gobies! And see, ya learn something everyday, now I know there are freshwater gobies since I hadn't seen anything other than the bumblebee and wasn't sure. If I come across those I will have to see if I can fit some in!