PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for cichlid tank

Drip Loop
06-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Can anyone suggest a good algae eater for an African Cichlid aquarium? I have had bushynoses in the past but it never seemed like they really enjoyed the hard water. I could be wrong but I get the feeling there are other species that are appropriate for their water parameters. Thanks, all suggestions appreciated.

edit: tank is 125g w/ aragonite sand if that makes any difference.

Drip Loop
06-25-2008, 09:38 PM
moo!!! :spam:

OscarFan
06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
chinese algae eaters would work.

smcurry83
06-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I've got two common plecos in my mbuna tank....

Drip Loop
06-25-2008, 11:05 PM
I was under the impression from what I have read that chinese algae eaters are practically worthless from an algae eating standpoint. If im wrong someone correct me.

As far as the common pleco goes, obviously their potential size and waste production eliminate them for my needs.

Red
06-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Your right on the CAE. Once they get bigger they start to want to eat meat and become mean.

Drip Loop
06-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Still lookin for help

mp3rp
06-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Well since you have such a big tank how big do you want your pleco? Do you want one the size of your Gourami's or bigger?

Drip Loop
06-26-2008, 12:49 AM
Im looking for something that can not only handle the hard water but prefers it. Mainly though, I just want a good algae eater

mp3rp
06-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Well I'm no pleco expert but every site I research plecos on tells you that their care level is easy. I think that as long as you properly and slowly accommodate the fish to your tank they will be fine. Also, all plecos will clean your tank. If you want you can check out catfishplanet.com or liveaquaria.com and just go to live fish and then plecos.

And remember that your plecos only eating algae and left overs off the bottem isn't always enough and that your schould always feed them algae waffers or pellets.

Drip Loop
06-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Yea I have had plenty. The problem is that every website tends to say they prefer slightly acidic water and can hardly tolerate salt. This tends to go against most cichlid setups. I guess I am wondering what eats the algae in Lake Malawi and can I get some? lol

mp3rp
06-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Yea I have had plenty. The problem is that every website tends to say they prefer slightly acidic water and can hardly tolerate salt. This tends to go against most cichlid setups. I guess I am wondering what eats the algae in Lake Malawi and can I get some? lol

Oh wow for some reason I thought I read Gourami's. How about you go to your lfs and buy a cheap but strong pleco for an experiment. Accommodate him slowly to your tank and see how everything goes. From what everyone else on the forum is saying, fish can live under any level of pH (As long as it isn't extremely high or low) as long as the change comes in slow because if it's too fast then it can cause too much stress. I am not fish pro but I would buy that cheap little pleco and see how it goes. If all goes well you can give that one back and buy a cooler looking one or maybe you'll even end up keeping the cheap one. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Drip Loop
07-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Bump....

I am needing to decide on an algae solution other than myself. Are there any plecos that are perfectly happy with a hardness around 10-12 dkh and a PH around 8.2? All help appreciated!

sailor
07-05-2008, 02:23 PM
I myself use rubberlip plecos in all my African tanks. In rural Saskatchewan we have liquid concrete for water lol. I have yet to loose one from our hard water or aggression from the fish, and they do an awsome job on my tanks. They don't get much bigger than 4 inches and are one of the few plecos that eat algae their whole life cycle.