PDA

View Full Version : will it hurt to drop the shell back in?

Angila
06-25-2008, 01:55 AM
Ok so i am wondering one of my big gold mystery snails died (first one that has ever died) we got the insides out but i am wanting to drop the empty shell back into the water as decor would it hurt anything will it decay and make my tank yucky?

smaug
06-25-2008, 02:12 AM
If you cleaned all the jumk out it will be fine to put back in.I left a few in for quite some time in the past with no issues.My dwarf corys used it for a play hut.

SkinnyChicken
06-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Strange you should mention it, Angila, my oldest Mystery died the other day too - the Kuhli Loaches are currently moving in and getting a free meal until I have time to remove it :)

fishymommy
06-27-2008, 05:13 PM
So how long do gold mystery snails live? I just bought one yesterday. I'm really excited. I've had fish for a while now but never a snail. Her name is Eppie.

toddnbecka
06-28-2008, 06:02 AM
The empty shell won't do any harm, I found a number of "ghost" spixi's when I cleaned out the breeders for auction a few months ago. Considering the way snails eat shrimp or crayfish carcasses, I'm somewhat surprised they don't recycle the empty snail shells too. I guess they're too thick and hard to bother with.

Angila
06-30-2008, 04:12 AM
I cleaned it and put it in my cichlid tank they have been playing with it a little bit here and there...I am not sure how long the live mine were pretty big when I got them and i have had them 6-8 months