PDA

View Full Version : Stocking Question

Doak6021
06-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I was thinking about adding 1-2 discus to the 30 gallon I have.
-2 apistos = 4 inches of fish
-7 Rummy = 14 inches of fish
That leaves me with roughly 12 inches.

I have really good filtration
Ammonia, Nitrates always pinned at 0
Weekly wate changes keeps Nitrates at <20
pH 6.8 - 7.0

I would buy the discus young.
they are hard to sex and do not have full color but that is ok.

Could I get some help with this.
Please help with all the reasons I should not try discus and also would ways to make it work.

Ex.
Reason not to buy: Discus get too large for such an aquarium.
solution: list some discus I could buy that do not grow to large sizes.

cocoa_pleco
06-24-2008, 02:42 PM
i would say no, discus need at least a 55g, and a group of at least 5

Doak6021
06-24-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm new to discus so this might sound funny but I'll still ask.

Are there different kinds of discus or just different colors?

Are there types discus that are typically smaller than others?

Fishguy2727
06-24-2008, 09:55 PM
None of the breeds are smaller or larger than others. The variation developed so far is just in color. Some have slightly larger fins, but there is no size difference there either.

FYI: The whole inch per gallon thing is at best a very loose guide, nothing close to a rule.

I think two could work. Ideally they are in a group of at least 6 and in a 55-75 or more. But if you only want two that could work in your tank. With the apistos already there they may be a bit territorial with the discus. I think if you get a couple smaller ones from a good LFS and they grow up in there it could fine. Make sure you keep the nitrate concentration under 20ppm.

Live plants can help a lot.

Incredulous_Ed
06-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Yeah you will definetly need some live plants for territories. And be prepared to get a larger tank ready if the discus becaoome territorial.

Fishguy2727
06-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Driftwood is good and will be a great visual barrier.

dean30bb
06-26-2008, 05:34 AM
i dont think u should do it because discus prefer 5-6 of there own kind they go better off like that and another reson is because discus dont generally like ph at that level they would prefer ph around 6.0 to 6.5 so i sugest u dont buy discus and for that size tank also and they prefer to be with there own kind aswell some people put all sorts of different fish in with discus but they are a bit hesitant when it comes to feeding time with the other fish around .

Fishguy2727
06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Those are great tankmates for the discus unless the apistos are settled in and too territorial. This is up to the indivdual fish though which is always a problem with any combination.

That pH is fine. They will breed in that pH.

They should be in a school ideally, but two that get along is fine.