PDA

View Full Version : Red (blood) gills and breast fin roots

Koi_fish
06-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Please help! One of my 5 goldfishes in my 25 gal tank has been showing red (I think it is blood) gills and breast fin roots for close to two weeks. I tried antibiotics, salt, raising temperature to 86 degree, changing water aggressively, but somehow I just could not get rid of the redness. What on earth is wrong with this goldfish, while others are so healthy?

Below is what I observed:

I noticed this goldfish started showing redness on both gills and roots of breast fins about 2 weeks ago. I brought to Petsmart and was recommended to treat the goldfish bacteria gill disease in a hospital tank with antibiotic (tetracycline). However, after full cycle 4-day treatment with 4 doses in hospital tank, the redness did not go away. Since the goldfish doesn't like the small hospital tank too much and he already got enough doses of antibiotic, I put the goldfish back to big tank with other companies and hope he can recover soon. But after 2 days, I noticed the redness on gills and breast fin roots was not going away and this goldfish is breathing rapidly and gasping on the surface all the time. However, I do not see any raggedness on the gills like most bacteria gill disease symptom. Fortunately, the redness and breathing problem don't seem contagious because other four goldfishes in the same tank are pretty healthy.

Suspecting ammonia poisoning, I did 50% water change twice per week. In addition, I brought my water to PetsMart for checking but everything is fine no ammonia at all.

Then I am suspecting the redness on gills and breast fin roots might be blood and I noticed redness below the chin underneath skin. Suspecting it is parasite related, I moved him to the small hospital tank with fresh new water with salt. I also raised the temperature to 80 degree to get rid of parasite.

After two-day salt treatment in hospital tank, I thought he is recovering because I saw redness was less. So I moved him back to big tank and continue to add salt. But after 1 day, I noticed he is bleeding on the skin close to breast fin roots again. What is going on? If not bacteria, not ammonia, not parasite, what can it be?

aaronmonto
06-24-2008, 07:09 AM
You 've got a bleeder. :laugh1blue:

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2008, 10:30 AM
I have no goldfish so really of no help to you but the temps may be too high for him since they like colder water and they don't need salt. Possibly sticking with larger water changes will help with good oxygen levels. The tank is really too small for goldfish and all will get quite large.

I would suggest to stop medicating unless you know what the problem is with him and just keep his conditions perfect and see what happens.

I guess you checked nitrites and nitrates levels as well?

Ty
06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
You need a bigger tank, a 25 gallon is nearly too small for 2 goldfish, not to mention 5.

donvichu
06-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Looks like fin rot in final stages try using a broad-spectrum antibiotic or antibacterial medication (e.g. Maracyn and Maracyn 2 or Kanacyn). A .3% salt solution may cure mild cases. Perfect water quality is essential for fish to recover. Healing fin tissue can be aided by using Melafix.this is mainly caused due to owercrowding,stress and poor water quality....I guess in your case could be stress and small a tank for gold fish...

donvichu
06-24-2008, 12:42 PM
Or gold fish in tanks smaller from their requirment gets stressed and also ammonia poisoning could be one of the reasons...so dont feed it for a day or two..do partial water change(25%) everyday for atleast one week...and next step look for a bigger aquarium for your goldies

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Doesn't sound like fin rot to me. It's gills are blood red. Sounds to me like ammonia poisoning from too many fish in the tank and from excess rotting food and waste.

There's only one treatment for that and it doesn't come in a bottle.

donvichu
06-24-2008, 02:49 PM
The only way am aware of is bigger tank...5 goldies is to crowded for a 25G....see if ou could source a bigger tank or thin out the crowd in your tank..hope you get to keep your goldies in a bigger tank than giving them