PDA

View Full Version : Blood Parrot?

MeganL3985
06-23-2008, 09:47 PM
I have no idea what area blood parrots come from, so I'm putting this in the "other cichlid" section.

Anyway.....so I was at walmart getting some dog food and came across some odd looking parrots in tanks. These were weird looking and I can't figure out whats wrong with them. They had two fins on the back and a stump for where a normal fin would be. All of them were like that. What gives??

Billythefish
06-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Bp's are a hybrid man made fish thay are part red devil and some other fish that i cant remember lol, thay can come in a range of colours and ive seen tatto's on them in lfs before maybe the fin thing you have seen is a new way of making them look cool so thay sell

Ocellatus
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
maybe you have seen love heart parrot? they are tailless. thats pathetic!

http://www.jwz.org/bigheads/capt.sge.kde10.130204165923.photo00.default-377x259.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/parrotcichlid/images/parrot/love_heart_lg.jpg

Billythefish
06-23-2008, 10:37 PM
So Thats the new trend now is it hmm i cant see why anyone would pay for that exceptionally ugly fish!, the worlds gone mad, not happy with dyeing or tattooing the poor bp's now thay are docking them too it makes me sick!

MeganL3985
06-23-2008, 10:40 PM
Thanks Billy, I know what blood parrots are. Just haven't seen them with a tail like that.

Blu-Ray, yep thats it! I felt horrible! Its not enough that some can't close their mouthes, but to make it hard for them to swim is just ridiculous!! :(

Lady Hobbs
06-23-2008, 10:56 PM
I bet you money they were Love Heart Parrots. They tails have been cut off to make them look like that. In other words, mutilated!

Sorry...........just say Blu-rays post!

MeganL3985
06-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep, mutilated is right. They had distinctly cut the middle fin off and had two very short ones left. Barely able to swim right. Poor babies. And people just don't know any better and end up buying them. I am totally okay with parrots themselves....they are just a mix of two fish, but when they are physically mutilated by man, just to make it look like a heart, thats when its not okay to me. Just as bad, if not worse than dying a fish.

Lady Hobbs
06-23-2008, 11:47 PM
I would have to mouth off to the manager there.

Fishead
06-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Its sick what people will do for a buck. I personally think there should be a ban on buying these fish. People don't buy them they would stop mutalating the fish we so love! To bad most people impulse buy when it comes to fish.

Incredulous_Ed
06-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Thats just weird. I dont think I like either blood parrot.

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I have no idea what area blood parrots come from, so I'm putting this in the "other cichlid" section.

I never am sure where to post these either. Parrots are said to be a mix between a Red Devil (Central) and Severums (South America) so take your pick.

MeganL3985
06-24-2008, 03:03 AM
I guess that classifies it as an "other cichlid" then :) lol

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Maybe we need a new category: Hybrid Cichlids. LOL

sandy_n
06-24-2008, 03:35 AM
Sadly they will sell because they are unique looking and you'll always have some fools that will come along and buy one because they think they're "cool" looking.

Billythefish
06-24-2008, 04:11 AM
Well i take it me and hobbs are fools for buying are's then!, shame because thay are nice fish without the dye or docked tails.

donvichu
06-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Sadly they will sell because they are unique looking and you'll always have some fools that will come along and buy one because they think they're "cool" looking.

Why cant some kind of organization interfere and do something about this ?:c11:

Lady Hobbs
06-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I love my parrots and they're my favorites. I would not buy dyed or docked fish, however. Hybrids are everywhere in the market but mutilated fish is not anything I would support.

calix10
06-24-2008, 12:07 PM
Well Im new on this world of aquarium, son when i start like most people buy a pair of purple parrot. Later i look 4 more information on forums and internet and there is when i discover the horror.
Now what can i do with my 2 lovely parrots well try to make`m happy, now are on a bigger tank whith a cuople of M'buna and six panda corys 2 caves to nest.

MeganL3985
06-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Well i take it me and hobbs are fools for buying are's then!, shame because thay are nice fish without the dye or docked tails.

Hers are not dyed and do not have docked tails.

Edit:: Oops, sorry hobbs didn't see your post. Guess you were quick to clear that up too. lol :)

Billythefish
06-24-2008, 05:59 PM
Opps sorry ment to say for buying hybrid's lol

sandy_n
06-24-2008, 06:36 PM

I was speaking of the love heart variety when I posted that comment. I have had regular blood parrots too.

Billythefish
06-24-2008, 07:05 PM
I was speaking of the love heart variety when I posted that comment. I have had regular blood parrots too.
I know i just see the bp as a man made mess even without dye-tattoo-docked tails ect and its a shame that thay keep coming up with new ways to destroy them, thay are a frendly fish and nice to look at with out the extreme's...

sandy_n
06-24-2008, 07:43 PM
I know i just see the bp as a man made mess even without dye-tattoo-docked tails ect and its a shame that thay keep coming up with new ways to destroy them, thay are a frendly fish and nice to look at with out the extreme's...

BP's are cool fish and I agree it's a shame what they do to them and they continue to find ways to do more to them to make them freakish. And all at the poor fishs' expense. I can't help but wonder what they will do to them next!

angelcakes
06-24-2008, 08:20 PM
i think bp are beautiful naturaly but not when there dyed or mutilated,thats the first time ive seen a heart bp and it sickens me.ok its a hybrid but why still mess with its tail????? :confused: