PDA

View Full Version : Is this breeding?

Incredulous_Ed
06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
So I have three breeding size asian blue rams in my 20gal high. I thought they were all males, but maybe I was wrong. I woke up this morning and looked at the tank and the dominant one was displaying all his colors with his fins flared and one of the other ones was doing the same. They like shimmyed up next to each, lip lock, tried to swim real cose to the other, and stuff like that. Then they stopped. Was that a dominace routine or pairing?

angelcakes
06-23-2008, 05:15 PM
it could be either ed.......but im pointing towards a dominace routine

KingFisher
06-23-2008, 06:14 PM
ED, can you post pics? then we can help you determine the sexes.

Fishalicious
06-23-2008, 06:20 PM
It's a dominance thing... with breeding the couple will look for a spawning area (usually a flat stone or wood) and start to defend it against other fish whilst cleaning it (very much like Angels)

Evil Slimy
06-23-2008, 08:43 PM
I agree it could be either. My bolivian rams are male and female and after they first met they did quite a bit of sparring. They started spawning fairly regularly soon after that. They don't spar anymore and they are definitely a couple, but it seemed to be part of courtship and mate selection.

Fishalicious
06-23-2008, 08:50 PM
It is common in couple Bolivians to test each others strength to see if the mate is suitable but Blue Rams don't really do this other than with mates of the same sex.

Lab_Rat
06-24-2008, 04:10 AM
That sounds like sparring, I have never seen my breeding pair of blue rams ever lip lock. The bolivian rams do though. I agree if you can post pics of each fish we could probably sex them.

Evil Slimy
06-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Phew. Thanks for the differentiation. Sorry I lied to you, Ed
:oink:

Fishalicious
06-24-2008, 10:03 AM

Hahaha don't be silly...what you said was absolutely true for the Bolivan Ram - different Ram = different fish :c3:

Incredulous_Ed
06-24-2008, 04:25 PM
lol its cool.

Thanks everyone. I guess it is dominance, because they are both males.