PDA

View Full Version : Disaster

donvichu
06-23-2008, 01:56 AM
:ssad: :ssad: :ssad: My albino pleco passed away last night..when I woke up this morning he was dead

skinni
06-23-2008, 01:59 AM
sorry to hear that man. any idea what happened?

donvichu
06-23-2008, 02:11 AM
sorry to hear that man. any idea what happened?

I have no idea...no sign of diseases...He was alright yesterday...In the morning I found him dead...think he was dead for sometime when I found himas his fins were missing :ssad: :ssad:

sktadood13
06-23-2008, 02:46 AM
sorry to hear that. that happend to me to man.

greatXpectations
06-23-2008, 03:38 AM
sorry to hear that....my pleco just up and dissapeared one day...

donvichu
06-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I bought him just 4 days back..I have no clue what happened...

Arkie
06-23-2008, 10:51 AM
im so sorry. did you acclimatize him properly? was he sick when you got him maybe?

donvichu
06-23-2008, 11:22 AM
I bought 2 plecos the same day and both were put in the same aquarium..one is doing great...Didnt seem to have any disease though....but something peculiar...yesterday afternoon he was swimming in the middle of the tank fast and in circles (looked like a plane diving in the middle of the sky)....any idea why?:confused:

Bassinkorea
06-23-2008, 11:50 AM
Sorry to hear the sad news.
One of my plecos died several weeks ago....he was fine one day and the next day he was dead.
My wife has a small aquarium, and a few years ago her pleco died, so she replaced it with another 2 plecos and one of them died a couple of years ago, the other one is still alive and kicking today. It would seem that plecos have mysterious deaths ?????

donvichu
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes now that I searched the net today it seems there are lots of mysterious pleco death for many aquarists :c2:

mp3rp
06-26-2008, 12:52 AM
I have no idea...no sign of diseases...He was alright yesterday...In the morning I found him dead...think he was dead for sometime when I found himas his fins were missing :ssad: :ssad:

Well did you feed him or did you just let him feed off algae and left over food. A lot of times people buy plecos and other sucker mouth fish thinking that they will clean the algae and left over food. Even though that is what they do sometimes that might not be enough. You should still always feed your plecos some pellets or algae waffers. I remember there being a thread about proper pleco and cory feeding. If you want I can look it up for you and give you a link.

donvichu
06-26-2008, 01:33 AM
Well did you feed him or did you just let him feed off algae and left over food. A lot of times people buy plecos and other sucker mouth fish thinking that they will clean the algae and left over food. Even though that is what they do sometimes that might not be enough. You should still always feed your plecos some pellets or algae waffers. I remember there being a thread about proper pleco and cory feeding. If you want I can look it up for you and give you a link.

Apart from the albino I have 5 more plecos and I feed them cucumber,algae wafers and they even like blood worms and dried shrimp so I give them a variety every day

mp3rp
06-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Apart from the albino I have 5 more plecos and I feed them cucumber,algae wafers and they even like blood worms and dried shrimp so I give them a variety every day

Well then I have no clue. LOL sorry. I guess plecos do die for unknown and mysterious reasons.

donvichu
06-26-2008, 01:49 AM
Well then I have no clue. LOL sorry. I guess plecos do die for unknown and mysterious reasons.

Gues its going to be a mystery forever

PhilliesFan202
06-27-2008, 03:00 AM
I put One smaller Pleco into my tank and he died so I went out and bought a larger one and he also died tryed to feed him alge Wafers and everything he wouldnt eat them just sat on top of them so im done with pleco's for a while.

donvichu
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
I put One smaller Pleco into my tank and he died so I went out and bought a larger one and he also died tryed to feed him alge Wafers and everything he wouldnt eat them just sat on top of them so im done with pleco's for a while.

thats really sad..sorry for your loss

tropfish
06-28-2008, 01:16 AM
Sometimes death happens from causes that are total mysterious to us. Nonetheless i am sorry to hear about your loss.

PhilliesFan202
07-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Ive been trying to find Bristle Nose Pleco's but the only ones I can find at local pet stores are just Pleco's and Clown Pleco's do you guys get them from Family owned stores? because none of the Big pet store chains seem to carry them

james481
07-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Ive been trying to find Bristle Nose Pleco's but the only ones I can find at local pet stores are just Pleco's and Clown Pleco's do you guys get them from Family owned stores? because none of the Big pet store chains seem to carry them

My LFS carries (most of the time) albino Bristle Noses that they buy from a local breeder. The usually run between $10 and $15, depending on size. I would check out your locally owned pet stores. Even if they don't have any around, they can probably either get you one from their normal suppliers, or (if you're lucky) get one from a local breeder (Ancistrus are probably the easiest pleco to breed in a home aquarium). A locally bred fish is preferable, because it will normally already be acclimated to your local water conditions (for instance, my albino ancistrus is quite happy in our 8.0pH, super-hard water because it was locally bred, even though these parameters are normally a little outside their comfortable range).

ladyoutlaw50
07-02-2008, 06:50 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your loss!!!

PhilliesFan202
07-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Do you guys know how much the Clown pleco differs from a plain pleco I would really like one for my tank I just dont seem to have much sucess with just plain old Pleco's

TorqueWorks
07-04-2008, 11:42 PM
Sorry for your loss.

graceluvsplatys
07-08-2008, 06:04 AM
maybe there is a mysteriuos pleco disease? maybe bottom feeders pick stuff up, cuz i have had 2 cories die for no reason.

Gemstone
07-08-2008, 06:49 AM
agggg...sorry for your loss my friend....

PhilliesFan202
07-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Im not sure if it has to do with my UGF maybe could it of killed the pleco's ? too much waste at the bottom of the tank possibly if anything I thought it would give him more food by sucking it down to him

james481
07-09-2008, 05:45 PM
Im not sure if it has to do with my UGF maybe could it of killed the pleco's ? too much waste at the bottom of the tank possibly if anything I thought it would give him more food by sucking it down to him

Have you tested your water for nitrites? I started my tank with a UGF, but ditched it soon after the tank was cycled, because I had excess nitrite producing bacteria growing under there which no amount of vacuuming or cleaning would remove (you should have seen what came up from under there when I pulled it out, and this is in a two month old tank). Nitrite levels should always be zero in an established aquarium, and nitrite is highly toxic to fish, especially Plecos (they like the water clean, clear and fast flowing, at least most of them). This would be the first thing I would check.

PhilliesFan202
07-09-2008, 05:48 PM
im at .5 and 20 for no2 and no3 levels

james481
07-09-2008, 06:01 PM
im at .5 and 20 for no2 and no3 levels

That's probably what's killing your plecos, as nitrite should always be 0. You can try cleaning your tank more and/or feeding less (to prevent excess food in the tank), but as I said nothing worked for me except pulling up the UGF and replacing it with a bio-wheel (which I have since supplemented with a canister). If you decide to go that route, be sure you run both the UGF and bio-wheel together for a few weeks to build up bacteria on the wheel and prevent a tank cycle when you pull up the UGF.

PhilliesFan202
07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
I have a Biowheel already in my tank I have a 37 gal Eclipse with sponge/carbon filter with a bio wheel compartment and a UGF

james481
07-09-2008, 06:18 PM
I have a Biowheel already in my tank I have a 37 gal Eclipse with sponge/carbon filter with a bio wheel compartment and a UGF

Well, if all else fails and you can't get your nitrites to go to zero, I would pull out the UGF all together. I've also heard (but I don't have any experience with this) that a rUGF (a reverse flow UGF powered by powerheads instead of air pump) can help with this problem because they generate much more flow through the UGF plate (in the other direction). It may be easier to convert your UGF to rUGF rather than ditch the whole thing, depending on your tank setup, but I'm not entirely sure. If I were you, I would do something about this ASAP, as the nitrite in your water (even low levels) is going to kill your fish eventually, whether through immediate suffocation (nitrite poisoning) or eventual disease due to stress to their immune systems.

PhilliesFan202
07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I currently have a Penguin 1140 powerhead powering my UGF

james481
07-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I currently have a Penguin 1140 powerhead powering my UGF

Do you have any other ideas as to what might be causing above 0 nitrite levels in your water? Have you recently added stock to the tank? Perhaps any treatments with strong anti-bacterial medications that might have killed some of your beneficial bacteria? How often do you change water and clean your substrate? I've also heard that regular UGF filters need to be pulled up and cleaned under every year or so under ideal conditions, although I'm not sure if this is true for rUGF systems as well. How long has your tank been running? Have you ever cleaned underneath the UGF plate?

PhilliesFan202
07-09-2008, 07:39 PM
tank has been running for about 4 months the only thing I can think of is that I use Test Strips not liquid tests I have heard they are inaccurate water Change ever week and vac every 2 weeks no meds or anything the only thing I add when I do water changes besides water De-clornator is some conditing salt the only fish that seem to not make is are pleco's I have glass catfish which are supposed to be very Delicate when it comes to water quailty but I never seem to have a problem with them..

james481
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Well, I would maybe get someone (perhaps your LFS) to confirm your test results with an API liquid test kit to ensure your strips aren't giving you false positives. Having never used the strip tests before, I don't really know but I would guess that they probably wouldn't give false positive reading on nitrite (although the level they indicate may not be accurate), but who knows...

If you can't figure out anything else that may be causing your bad levels, I would pull the rUGF system out of the tank and clean under it and see if that makes a difference. This is, of course, a major chore, as you'll probably want to drain most of the water from your tank before doing this (and keep it in buckets to refill with afterward). You won't believe the amount of gunk and slime built up under there (if your tank is anything like mine was). It would probably also help if you have another tank to drop the occupants in while doing this, as the water will be nasty cloudy for an hour or more until the filter can take care of all that stuff. I did mine at the same time I was moving the tank, so I had to drain it anyhow, and it still wasn't very easy.

donvichu
07-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Removing UGF.........ahhhhhhhhhhh............thats one of the things I dread about so for all my recent tanks I have no UGF

PhilliesFan202
07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
Well i went out today and got a Liquid No2 Test and instead of the strips that were saying I had .5 the liquid test showed 0ppm no2 !!! none of them !