PDA

View Full Version : 10g Tanganyika tank?

gunk
06-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Is it possible to have a 10g Tanganyika tank? I want to have a single brichardi cichlid and maybe one or two other small fish as well.

DTB1
06-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Brichardi are a real social fish and shouldn't be kept alone. You could possibly try a pair, but look out if you end up with a breeding pair.

Drip Loop
06-28-2008, 09:47 PM
You could "maybe" have a julie pair. They dont get very big and mine dont really go too far from their rock home. I doubt they would mind 10g. However, it wouldnt be the perfect scenario for them.

The Wedge
06-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Shell dwellers...would be great and a trip to watch

Zebradanio12
09-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Lamprologus multifasciatus or multiys are good.

Red
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
^assuming those are shell dwellers... that would be awesome for a tank 10

johnpeezy
09-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Lamprologus multifasciatus or multiys are good.

yes these guys would be the best route to go for a ten gallon.

You can also do a julidochromis tank in a ten gallon it would be a pain to clean though. for a decent ammount of julies in there you would have to have a heck of a pile of rocks.

I would reccomend aginst N birchardi, They get a little big for a 10 gallon and tend to be mid level swimmers as opposed to rock/shell dwelling fish.

If you go the shell dweller route I would go for Neolamprolagus ocellatus

these guys like small shells in sand, and claim about a 6" radious around there home. what they lack in size they make up for in attitude and personality.

you can create a decent setup for a few of these in a 10 gallon since the shell dwellers, thats easyier to maintain then say a julidochromis tank ther rock dwellers.

There expensive around where I live though 15 dollars for golds and 20 for blacks.

the julies are approximatley 10 a pop.
get julidochromis marlieri if you decide to go for a rock dweller route, and create seperated rock piles for territory. You would have to do one of two things:
get less fish and less rock (easy to maintain), or more fish and more rocks (have fun running the gravel vac). Anyway they max out at about 3", can be highly aggressive and ARE micro predators but I love em. If there rock piles are connected, so is there territory a good way to do it is make a few "pyramid shapes" with a few rocks and space them out.

A ten gallon may be a tad small for the julies but not the ocellatus and they are funny

snapdragon9
11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I believe with any tanganyikan tank, the main factors of not only selecting the specie of fish weighs just as high with the amount of rockwork you provide. Using slate works for my tanganyikan tank, and as the slate breaks down within the system, it buffers the pH to stay relatively high.

A nice mix between small pebbles and sand for a substrate works well. My juli and lemonpeel are always excavating their territory and it offers a nice experience to watch them scoop sand in thier mouths and travel to another part of the tank to deposit.

The tank is hard to clean! To make things easier, look into purchasing some 'holdfast' made by marineland to make a solidified chunk of rockwork, (i.e slate and rocks) so that it can be bumped and not fall down while performing tank maintenance. Slate serves another purpose as well; it provides great surface area for nice matts of algae to form on which is indicitive of tropheus/tanganyikan native environments.

I have a juli transcriptus, and a leleupi (lemon-peel cichlid) along with a gorgeous knight goby. There is always tension within the ranks...my juli controls one side, the lemon-peel controls the other and the goby controls the top of the 20L. As far as agression goes for this 10 gal. I would stock lightly, even though julis are smaller they will still require lots of rockwork and areas for them to lay out territory. I think I'm pushing it even in my 20L with three fish. Anyway I'm blabbling....