PDA

View Full Version : Almost angelfish disaster.

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 01:01 AM
Today I found this great new LFS. I really couldn't take my eyes off of these gold marble's about 2" in length. So I got a pair in hopes there is a m and f (the guy at the store claimed he had been trying to sex them for days and thought he had a good idea which were which).

Anyway I get home and got them all settled in the tank, they were pretty stressed. (It's was hot today and about 30min drive home). Neither of them really had any energy as I watched them for a few hours. So, I had to go out for a bit and I come home to finding one of them under a large piece of driftwood (not harmed), but the other lodged into the part of my tank at the top- back, where the water to get down to the sump goes. Right away I thought it was dead but when I got it out it kinda moved, and just floated towards the bottom.

I now moved both of them to my 10 gal which only has 1 betta in it. The one that was hurt layed on it's side on the gravel for about an hour, I Put 10ml of "stress coat" in the tank, and turned the light out and about another hour goes by and it is now hiding behind a fake plant with the other angel. Still neither of them have done much exploring and seem very lethargic. Is there anything else I can do for them other than closely monitor? Was putting in the "stress coat" a good idea?

P.S.- The betta doesn't seem to mind his new friends, in fact he keeps hanging out with them.

Dave66
06-23-2008, 01:05 AM
What is your acclimation process?

Dave

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 01:17 AM
i put them in the tank for 20 min in the bag from the lfs, then add approx 1/2 cup of water ?(from my tank) to the bag. Do this 2 more times approx 10 min apart. Finally put them in a large container, net them out and right into the tank.

gunk
06-23-2008, 01:19 AM
2 angels and a betta seems like a fun tank. Too bad angels can't really stick around in a 10g for too long.

Anyway good luck!

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 01:20 AM
0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, ph about 7.6, didn't check the ph from the LFS as I didn't deem it necessary

Dave66
06-23-2008, 01:23 AM
i put them in the tank for 20 min in the bag from the lfs, then add approx 1/2 cup of water ?(from my tank) to the bag. Do this 2 more times approx 10 min apart. Finally put them in a large container, net them out and right into the tank.

Way they are reacting is chemical shock from water parameters. Them coming to in the Betta tank indicates the water chemistry is different from the tank you put them in.
Friend, if you've the room, it's better to buy at the very least six youngsters to have a 75 percent chance of getting a pair. Double that and it's a hundred percent.
In groups like that they have security, and won't hide all the time.
I drip acclimate myself, and do between three and five hour-long cycles for freshwater fish. Needless to say I've never had a fish exhibit water parameter shock.

Dave

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 01:24 AM
2 angels and a betta seems like a fun tank. Too bad angels can't really stick around in a 10g for too long.

Anyway good luck!

Well, now I'm thinking they are going to stay in there for a week at least as I prob should watch for illness before they go into my 64gal. Anyway yeah it is interesting with the blue betta I have just hangin out with the angels.

Would be more fun if I knew the angels were ok. Although nothing alarming has happened in the last half hour or so now, i'm still worried about waking up in the morning to something bad.

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 01:32 AM
Way they are reacting is chemical shock from water parameters. Them coming to in the Betta tank indicates the water chemistry is different from the tank you put them in.
Friend, if you've the room, it's better to buy at the very least six youngsters to have a 75 percent chance of getting a pair. Double that and it's a hundred percent.
In groups like that they have security, and won't hide all the time.
I drip acclimate myself, and do between three and five hour-long cycles for freshwater fish. Needless to say I've never had a fish exhibit water parameter shock.

Dave

Betta tank is exactly the same as the 64 gal, the 64 gal was seeded from the 10gal, I think it's because the water isn't moving around so rapidly in the 10 gal. I completely underestimated the power of this pump I have as it's pumping est. 900gph. I am def going to add a ball valve controlled overflow line directly back into my sump to slow down my water movement.
Then I will be picking up 4 or 5 more angels, thanks for all your help dave

C-Dub
06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Update;
Angels are doing a lot better today, I came home and they hid behind a plant for awhile, then i feed them just a few discus flakes, and to my surprise they came out and ate and swam around like they owned the joint. The one that was injured fins are a little tattered but vitals seem fine.

Also;
bought all the material at the plumbing supply house today to slow this waterflow down a bit. will be installing once I get back from home depot as i need more clear tubing.

smaug
06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Thats great they are ding better.It sounds like you know what you are doing and they will be very happy.Good luck with them.

C-Dub
06-30-2008, 02:53 PM
Another week has gone by and my 2 Angels are looking good, the betta has made his way to my main tank and the angels will follow as soon as i get something else to replace the angels in the 10gal tank.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f336/Torqued54L/131.jpg

Tolley
06-30-2008, 03:29 PM
your angelfish doesnt look good at all all her fins are nipped heres what she should look like http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/images/Angelfish(KoiVeiltail)WFCiam_med_Ap8AF.jpg

C-Dub
06-30-2008, 08:25 PM
your angelfish doesnt look good at all all her fins are nipped heres what she should look like http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/cichlid/images/Angelfish(KoiVeiltail)WFCiam_med_Ap8AF.jpg

compared to last week it looks great, thats why it's seperated in another tank