PDA

View Full Version : Angelfish needs help again

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Two months ago I was going nuts trying to heal a wound on my angelfish's side. That got "about" cured but never completely.

Then I noticed that both angels had ragged tail fins. Since I thought they had been attacked by my Moonlight gourami, I got mad at him and tossed him down the toilet in a fit of anger. Tailfins did not improve, however, and have only gotten worse. Guess I killed the gourami for nothing!

Yesterday I noticed that both angels have a dusty coloration on their heads in several areas. I was thinking this might be Velvet but after reading this article, http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/disease/p/velvet.htm I think I am incorrect. I have them both on parasite medication now to see if it will do anything for them. I'm using the Jungle Lab tablets that claims to rid fish of both internal and external parasites but I wonder if I should do more.

Salt has been added to the tank (again) and heat cranked up. They are not eating but otherwise are acting fine. They are not scratching against objects but I have seen them doing jerking movements. Since angels do this little jerk now and then when they are excited or aggravated, I first ignored it but now feel something is annoying them.

I have looked at them carefully with a magnifying glass and don't see a thing.

Now I have to wonder if possibly the "dusty" appearance of their heads could be the beginning of fungus brought on by whatever else they have going on and is a secondary problem.

Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

jman
12-08-2006, 10:02 PM
I was thinking about the fungus in the mid part of your forum, i think you should research fungus and figure out what matches and if the 'cause' of them is listed behind it. It's very hard to label a problem, do you have any pics?

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Sure don't and don't think even if I had a camera it would pick up that dusting effect. It is very vague but shows up well with my magnifying glass. I'm pretty sure they have a parasite now and this is also a fungus that has gotten started as a secondary problem. When you take such good care of your aquariums, how do they get this stuff!

Guess I was tired when I added the Jungle Lab tabs last night. I added enough for my 55 gallon in the 30 gallon. It never hit me until today. duh
They are more active now and acting better but I will continue to treat them for a few days then onto the fungus med. You think?

kimmers318
12-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I know you have been having problems with these guys off and on for quite awhile but I can't remember if this has been since you purchased them or something that started long after. If it has been an ongoing problem since purchase I would really have to start to wonder if they were raised in a bad environment and are not too healthy. Kind of like an immune issue. I have seen many times (look at any puppy mill) where the parents are in horrible conditions, couple this with overbreeding and you end up with dogs that have loads of health issues, sometimes for life, and never truly reach their full potential as a pet.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 05:27 PM
Everything was fine with these fish until the one got that wound! Even then he was a great eater and acted as if didn't bother him. The only problem I was having was their aggression to one another so had to separate them.

Then come time to treat the wound, and treat the wound and treat the wound! Man. And what made it hard to treat was not knowing what caused it in the first place, not knowing if it was something internal, external or a burn that had infected. Salt, higher temps, fungal meds, meds for internal parasites, meds for external parasites......blah! I probably have $50 into my $7.50 angelfish by now. :(

So here we are today......the two angels are now together and are fine with one another but treatment continues as now I see this "dusting" appearence on both of them. It could be velvet or it could just be a fungal problem from all the stress. I am treating the tank now with LifeGuard as it works on external, internal parasites as well as fungus so the saga goes on.....and on. I am happy to see something out there that treats for all without messing with the biological system.

But, now either is eating and haven't for nearly the whole week they're been together so if it's due to the medication or due to being together, who knows.

Give me ICK anytime! You can see it, identify it and know immediately how to treat it but this is something else!!!

jman
12-09-2006, 06:44 PM
Do you guys maybe just maybe somehow the fungus and problems originate form the first cut or opening? Maybe the first fish had a couple of problems that were released when they were opened.

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
here's Hobbs throwing up hands.....:) who knows anymore. He had been treated before putting him with the the other fish but that doesn't mean it was cured. I only saw this dusting on them just 3 days ago. If I had a brain I'd just give up but I won't let them suffer so will keep it up. I wish miss them swimming up and down the glass begging for food, tho. Flakes fall right under their noses and they won't grab it. Also tried shrimp, black worms, tubifex worms, greens.........we'll see.

Thanks jman. I appreciate your posts and your help trying to sort this out with me.

jman
12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
No problem i just hate feeling that the fish are down like this especially when someone is caring for them... good luck!

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 07:22 PM
Thank you so much. We will get this figured out yet.

I guess you didn't see the message I sent you in your message folder?

Slinky_Bass
12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your angel troubles Hobbs, I know it's really frustrating when you've put so much time and effort into caring for them, and it seems like they're coming right and then this happens! All I can say is keep trying, I didn't give up on my angel and I'm really glad I followed your advice :)

Lady Hobbs
12-10-2006, 05:15 PM
It's doing well then? I'm so happy to hear this. I won't give up until I see suffering is happening ........or he starves himself to death! I've just ordered some Nori that's actually seaweed and I hope it will entice him to eat something.

Glad yours has come around, tho.

Slinky_Bass
12-18-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey Hobbs, it's been a while since you posted on your angels and I was wondering how they're doing. The last I read was that they had something you were worried was velvet, their appetites were still poor and then you had that all night water hauling session during a power out :/

Since I last posted about my skinny angel I've moved him into a new 20 gal tank with the 6 corys. Hes's getting better every day and lately I've been feeding him lots of small bits of bloodworms a couple of times a day. He wont touch anything else but at least he's eating :)

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2006, 09:27 PM
You are so nice to double check on my angels. They are doing great and for some reason now like each other after months of fighting. I treated this one for nearly two months off and on but he is just doing fine now. Thanks for asking.

Careful with those blood worms. They are meant for a treat a couple times a week AFTER their meal. They need other things to eat. I ground up some fresh spinach last night and mine went nuts over it. They need some type of vegetable matter as well.

Slinky_Bass
12-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I know that they should be fed as treats, but the silly thing wont touch anything else. He gives all the food I try to feed him a good long look and if it isn't long, thin and red he ignores it! I'll try the freshly ground spinach though, you never know miracles do happen. How fine do you grind/chop it and did you use the baby spinach or the big spinach?

Lady Hobbs
12-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I just use fresh spinach but it's even less messy if you can use a food clip and put it on the side of the aquarium. I haven't been able to find one myself. Add a big romane lettuce leaf even. I stick one under a rock to hold it down. They definitely need more than worms or will get a vitamin deficiency. Flakes might look crummy to use but have what fish need in them.

jman
12-21-2006, 12:29 AM
You are so nice to double check on my angels. They are doing great and for some reason now like each other after months of fighting. I treated this one for nearly two months off and on but he is just doing fine now. Thanks for asking.

Careful with those blood worms. They are meant for a treat a couple times a week AFTER their meal. They need other things to eat. I ground up some fresh spinach last night and mine went nuts over it. They need some type of vegetable matter as well.

blood worms for treats...sometimes i got to make sure it's not more than twice a week or ill get carried away because the fish got nutz

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2006, 05:21 AM
I'm here to tell you my bala sharks do. They eat the worms as fast as they can (clicking so loud you can here it everywhere) and then away they go chasing and playing for the next hour. Wonder what they'd do if I tossed them a hamburger.

jeffs99dime
12-21-2006, 02:49 PM
yeah, balas are eating machines! very cool though

jman
12-21-2006, 08:09 PM
i want balas how much do they charge?

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2006, 08:18 PM
A few balas in a tank would be wonderful if the tank was 100 gallon and up. They are just wonderful fish. Peaceful with everything no matter the size of their tank mates. They click when they eat. Loud, too, at times and especially something they really love like the worms. They are top, mid and bottom feeders and also eat algae. I like them a lot! However, not suitable for all tanks due to their size as they can get 8-12 inches.

Catching them is worse than those idiots with the holes in their nets. These guys are fast and constantly on the move.

jman
12-21-2006, 08:20 PM
hahaha guess i'll be getting them out myself

Lady Hobbs
12-21-2006, 08:24 PM
I have two and they are inseperatable. I know I will have to let mne go and I hate that. I would love to keep them.

jman
12-21-2006, 08:26 PM
welp hope everything else fine.

cyane
12-24-2006, 07:51 AM
what does a bala shark look like?? and what about them cute little red tail sharks?? i have a 55 long tank. can i put one of them in?? maybe aa cute little red tail shark.....please help.

Lady Hobbs
12-24-2006, 08:22 AM
The red tail most likely but make sure it's compatible with whatever else you put it. They are cute little fish and don't get as big as the balas.

http://www.elmersaquarium.com/10shark_redtail.htm

This tells about them.

jeffs99dime
12-27-2006, 09:29 AM
what does a bala shark look like?? and what about them cute little red tail sharks?? i have a 55 long tank. can i put one of them in?? maybe aa cute little red tail shark.....please help.

here's a bala shark-- http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile21.html
balas get way too big for a 55 gallon
here's a redtail shark-- http://www.fishlore.com/Profiles-RedTailShark.htm
a lot more do-able in a 55 i think. they can become aggressive though!