PDA

View Full Version : Sick Koi?

SkarloeysMom
06-22-2008, 09:07 PM
My brother has a 125 gallon pond in his backyard with several very large fish. I'm not familiar with ponds or the fish that usually live in them so bare with me. My niece asked me what this tumor looking thing was on one of the fish. I didn't know what it was so I told her I'd try to find out. I've been reading around the net and seems like Ulcer disease is fairly common in Koi. Does anyone have a picture (or a link to one) of what Ulcer disease looks like. I didn't think to take a picture when I was there.

The tumor looks blood red and a lot like and ulcer or a popped blister about 3/8" round and right next to the dorsal fish. I also noticed some of the scales looked damaged on the side of the fish, almost like they were rubbed or scraped loose.

Any ideas or pictures that might help me ID this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Fishguy2727
06-22-2008, 10:18 PM
If he has a koi in a 125 I am guessing there are other things wrong. Overstocking, water quality, etc. could all be issues here. The minimum pond size for koi, depending on who you talk to, is 1,000-2,000 gallons. Unless it is only a few inches long and he has a larger home for it to go to this year, he needs to get rid of the koi immediately.

Koi are so sensitive and prove to problems it is no surprise it has an issue. If it looks like a popped blister it does sound like an ulcer.

SkarloeysMom
06-22-2008, 10:35 PM
I could be wrong on the size of the pond. Its probably 3 - 4 feet in diameter and maybe 18"- 2 feet of water in there. I thought I remember him saying it was 125 gallon but i could be wrong. Personally, I think the pond is severely overstocked as well. I know that at least 2 fish in there are each a foot long in addition to 3 or more that are about 6-8" long and there are few others as well. I know nothing about ponds but even at first glance I thought overstocked. I don't think they test the water. They do partial water changes I think but i have not idea about the schedule.

Honestly, this is my brother's pond and I don't want to be the one to have to tell him that its overstocked. When I mentioned to my niece that the water quality might be the reason the fish has an ulcer she said, "well, he's the only fish that has it so how could it be the water." Seriously, I don't think they know about water chemistry and seems like they don't want to. Guess I'll just tell them its probably an ulcer and sent them some links about how to treat and see what happens. My guess is i won't hear back and the fish will not be in there next time I visit.