PDA

View Full Version : Epson Salt treatment?

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 02:24 PM
I was thinking of trying my FAT blood parrot with an Epson salt treatment but am reading different methods and not knowing which is best.

I actually put him in a bucket of Epson salt last night but got scared and took him back out after about 3 minutes.

Some sites say to treat the tank with 1 t. per Epson salt per 10 gallons. Other sites say to not put it in the tank at all but treat in a bucket for about 15 minutes then return the fish to the tank.

If he has the bloat, would he be pooping like he is?

Sorry to go on about this parrot but I don't want to loose him!! I love my tetra's but heck, I have 50 of them so no biggie losing one, is there? I love my firemouths but have 200.

gm72
06-22-2008, 02:33 PM
I don't know for sure, Lady, but I have read that you are supposed to leave them in the salt bath until they show initial signs of stress, then remove. Always seemed odd to me, but that's what I remember reading.

If he was bloated I wouldn't think he'd be pooping.

sailor
06-22-2008, 03:00 PM
A fish with bloat will have long white stringy poop. On the frontosa and tropheus sites I frequent the recomended dosage for treating bloat is 1 tablespoon of epsom salts per 10 gallons at a water change, don't feed for 3 or 4 days, keep your lights off.

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 03:19 PM
Well, rules this guy out then because he is pooing normally. No point in going thru the salt threatment and stress him even more. This is day 3 with no food.

Thanks alot. At least I know now how to treat (amount).