PDA

View Full Version : killies??

sktadood13
06-22-2008, 05:04 AM
are killies aggresive? could i put them with any of the fish in my 55g?(look at sig for fish)

pes142
06-22-2008, 05:32 AM
I have a couple killies, they are native to PA, not tropical, but they get along well with everyone else, no fighting or fin nipping.

cocoa_pleco
06-22-2008, 05:46 AM
i used to have killies, they stay at the top and mind their own business

however, your 55g is pretty stocked considered black ghost knifes need a 300g

stubbytheplecostomus
06-26-2008, 05:25 AM
most killies are small and most people that keep them use 2 1/2 gallon or 10 gallon tanks for them, killies are also extremely difficult to purchase, you will only be able to find golden wonders, and maybe a variety of gardnerii or gold australe in pet shops all of which are about the size of guppies, Aquabid.com will be a good place to find a great selection of killies

jules
06-29-2008, 04:18 PM
are killies aggresive? could i put them with any of the fish in my 55g?(look at sig for fish)

Hi....

i'm afraid that's a bit like saying my garage is 6 foot across, can I get a car in it?

The answer is of course yes, but you'll have to do a bit of research to find one that will fit. Some killies are shy, some are aggressive, some need soft acidic water, some like it hard and alkaline. Some are minute, some get pretty big.

Do you add salt for the livebearers?
What foods do you typically feed?
Do you want to raise livebearer fry or are you happy for them to get eaten?

Minderella83
06-29-2008, 05:21 PM
most killies are small and most people that keep them use 2 1/2 gallon or 10 gallon tanks for them, killies are also extremely difficult to purchase, you will only be able to find golden wonders, and maybe a variety of gardnerii or gold australe in pet shops all of which are about the size of guppies, Aquabid.com will be a good place to find a great selection of killies
I saw some of the golden wonders at walmart yesterday and alot of them looked not colorful at all. I wasnt impressed at them there but I am sure they could be pretty in the right conditions.

cocoa_pleco
06-29-2008, 05:28 PM
I saw some of the golden wonders at walmart yesterday and alot of them looked not colorful at all. I wasnt impressed at them there but I am sure they could be pretty in the right conditions.

petsmart here has about 10 golden wonders at a time, and PJ's has about a hundred. Theyre not in the best shape at petsmart, but i had a pair in a 55g planted that lived a long time