PDA

View Full Version : Incredible deal

crackatinny
06-22-2008, 03:26 AM
My sister told me of this old couple she works for, to old to care for there birds anymore, and wanting to get rid of some, she had no idea what they had.
I needed a lorikeet hen and a cockateil cock to pair up what I have before breeding season.
Much to my surprise, when I went and had a look, they had a pair of rainbow lorikeets, I didn't want to seperate a bonded pair, so asked how much for the pair, they was just happy to see them go to a good home, so I got the pair for $20, (usually $40-$80 each).
Then he also gave me 3 cockateils for nothing, one which looks to be a cock, my hen took an instant fancy to.

The lori hen is a bit feather pecked around the neck, due to them being in such a small cage I suspect, but they will grow back.
And one of the cockateils is badly pecked to a bald head and no tail feathers, she is the second from left, since photo, I have taken her back out of the aviary untill she recovers.

gm72
06-22-2008, 03:32 AM
Gorgeous birds, Crack!

crackatinny
06-22-2008, 03:34 AM
I like this pic GM, it looks like the hen is scolding the cock, and he has his head down, going "yes dear" LOL

ladyoutlaw50
06-22-2008, 03:34 AM
Wow what a lucky find for you!! I love cockatiels -- I had one years ago named Mo -- he was quite a character --- used to sit on my shoulder while i did dishes and vacuumed. He also liked to sit on top of his cage and hollar to the kitty!!! She just ignored him, but I think if she had gotten the chance she would have met him face to face!! LOL --

Red
06-22-2008, 03:35 AM
Nice birds, love the website too is that all at your house?

crackatinny
06-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Nice birds, love the website too is that all at your house?

Yes, I am in a country town, so have a fairly big backyard, the more aviarys, the less lawn to mow:wink2:

Red
06-22-2008, 03:41 AM
Yes, I am in a country town, so have a fairly big backyard, the more aviarys, the less lawn to mow:wink2:

thats great im going to tell that to my mom, more fish tanks less to vaccum.

country_boy454
06-22-2008, 04:28 AM
Very nice deal! Love the cockateils! I have a cockateil cock that is about 5yrs old now. I got him when he was about 6 months old. Finger tamed him right away and then he caught on to talk. I want to breed him but my mom says not to cause once they mate they will never talk again I guess. Plus the bird stays at her place cause he is attached to her. His name is buddy.http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w291/grandzj_i6_242/pics%20of%20peeps/DSC00177.jpg

crackatinny
06-22-2008, 05:37 AM
There is a big possibility that once put out to breed, all your taming and teaching to talk could go to waste.
I agree with your mom, you have a nice tame talking bird, I would not try to breed from him.

country_boy454
06-22-2008, 09:08 PM
I was afraid of that. Darn. Oh well in time I will be able to get a small aviary going!

He loves being out of his cage. If it wasn't for my moms yorkie terrier she would leave the door to his cage open more often. I want to bring him to the apartment but Buddy and my mom have a great bond to each other!

Rue
06-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Congrats!:hmm3grin2orange:

I'm not sure what Rainbow Lori's go for around here...but I'm thinking around $1500...