PDA

View Full Version : Best root system in a floating plant?

PUNISHER VETTE
06-21-2008, 10:23 PM
I think i'd like to get some floating plants. Since my tank's an open top one anyway and it's extra tall so i've got some area that could be filled by floating plants with extensive roots.

I think i'd almost be more concerned about how the roots look since you'd probably see them more then the top but i don't know... never liked the look of the floating stem plants that could also be planted like hornwort i think.

Saw some today at the LFS that had pockets of air in their stem but figured there had to be some other cooler ones out there i could order.

A red color leaf/root would also be cool since it's close to my lighting it shouldn't be too hard to keep that color.

Dave66
06-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I think i'd like to get some floating plants. Since my tank's an open top one anyway and it's extra tall so i've got some area that could be filled by floating plants with extensive roots.

I think i'd almost be more concerned about how the roots look since you'd probably see them more then the top but i don't know... never liked the look of the floating stem plants that could also be planted like hornwort i think.

Saw some today at the LFS that had pockets of air in their stem but figured there had to be some other cooler ones out there i could order.

A red color leaf/root would also be cool since it's close to my lighting it shouldn't be too hard to keep that color.

Well, Punisher, water sprite - Ceratopteris cornuta nee C. thalictrodes is commonly available and has light brown hairy roots. Since your tank is open topped, you could keep water hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes) and it might bloom in your tank. But, there aren't any naturally 'red' floaters.
Your best bet would be to plant Nymphea lotus, if your substrate is good enough, and allow the leaves to grow to the top of the tank. Just hunt around for an example of the plant in leaf color you like. 50-50 whether it will bloom in your tank.
Only chance you have for a red floater, I'm afraid, other than the tiny Azolla, which turn an attractive rusty red in bright light.

Dave

Fishalicious
06-21-2008, 10:47 PM
I think Phyllanthus fluitans might be the one for you.. beautiful floater ;) It turns red under high light and the roots also turn red then...which flow about 4-5 inches into the tank

I love the roots of Pistia Straitoites in a tank as I find the roots the prettiest and if your looking for extremely long roots then Limnobium laevigatum is the one for you the roots can grow 11 - 15 inches into the tank

PUNISHER VETTE
06-21-2008, 11:10 PM
thanks for the replys. Looking at pictures i see that not only do the roots look important to me but what do you think about big leaf floaters vs. tiny ones?

Seems like the frogbit has some nice big roots which looked very cool but also looked like some big leaves. The red root floater has some nice roots but looked to be slightly tinyier leaves.

I'd like to not obscure my regular tank plants of light so which one would allow to let more light trough or be suitable to stay at the front/back/sides of the tank without roaming too much?

PUNISHER VETTE
06-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Found this picture of some red root floater. Although it looks really cool i don't think the roots are quite large enough. In the picture it looks like the tank is a normal height if not extra long style. So in my extra tall i think they would just not stand out enough.

So i'm leaning towards the frogbit with the longer roots.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2110/2101406417_fb86428631.jpg

Dave66
06-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Punisher,
I use the frogbit in most of my tanks to shade the foreground for my fishes' benefit. The filters push it to the front of the tank where I want it. The light transmits through the green leaves in such a way there's dark and light green shadows below, interspersed with bright light.

Dave

Fishalicious
06-21-2008, 11:48 PM
In that particular foto the roots just have not grown long yet... check this foto

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlantsImage.php?n=40_Phyllanthus_fluitans.jpg&w=194&h=194

PUNISHER VETTE
06-22-2008, 05:04 AM
yeah i'd say i have about 1 foot in the places i'd like to put them so i might as well get the longer root ones to take up that area. Maybe i'll get a little of both and mix the two.

PUNISHER VETTE
06-23-2008, 02:48 AM
I ordered about 25 frogbit plants for $15 shipped.

Hopefully they work out. I might bid on some red root plants on aquabid but i'm not sure. Maybe i'll see how the frogbit does.

markvs
10-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Hello;
My opinion is that I happen to like the hyacinth, as it has the longer roots you seem to want,
they are a good colour, purple,
and are very good for egg layers such as goldfish ( my only experience)
Unfortunately we cannot get it here:4:

cocoa_pleco
10-04-2008, 04:44 AM
threads from june. lol

troy
10-04-2008, 05:20 AM
Old thread!