PDA

View Full Version : hi

Wallyfish
12-08-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi. You can call me wallyfish because I work at wal-mart. I decided that I needed a pet/hobby that could take my mind off of work, but I didn't want to have to play with something like I would have to with a hamster for example. Fish seemed to be the answer. I pretty much like all fish but I've started small with a 10 gal. After I move in a couple months I want to get a big tank if I like how things go.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2006, 04:47 AM
Hi Wallyfish. Welcome to AC. I think you will like it here and get good answers to all your questions.

One little hint here.....a larger tank is always great to have and those 10 gallons made a great tank for quarantining fish that you buy before adding them with other stock. One problem with WalMarts fish is they are seldom healthy. Often they have ICK and when you buy them you bring it home to your others so be careful what you buy there, made sure they look healthy, have nothing on them that looks like salt (that is what Ick looks like) and in general, are acting as they should. Also be careful to not buy fish that are in tanks with several other dead ones.

Don't mean to knock where you work but WalMarts is noted for the poor quality of the fish in their tanks. Make sure you cycle your fish, get a good test kit (not the strips) and go from there. You should read the Free e-book listed in the left hand menu to give you a good starting off point. It has lots of valuable information.

f1oored
12-08-2006, 04:59 AM
Welcome to AC. I'm sure you will find everyone here helpful and friendly... well most of us are friendly. Anyhow, you are getting into a great hobby but be careful, one tank often leads to another and another. I agree with Hobbs about the walmart fish but different stores can have different aquarium sections and they may not all be bad. Welcome to the board. Be sure to ask any questions you have and we will do our best to answer them.

crackatinny
12-08-2006, 07:03 AM
Hi wally, I haven't been here long myself, but you dont have to be here long before your made to feel right at home, hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Abbeys_Mom
12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Welcome to the forum :)

jman
12-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey welcome and feel free to ask questions!

Cichlid_Man
12-08-2006, 10:12 PM
Hey Wallyfish...!!!

Welcome to the forum.

We are ALL HAPPY to help you with any fish related questions.
You won't find a more friendly forum than this!

Wallyfish
12-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks guys. I know wal-mart fish can be quite bad. I experience it first hand. I have yet to see a male betta without torn fins. Dead fish float at the top frequently. Fish are put in tanks that don't get along and they end up nipping at each other, there is some ich sometimes. Some of it has to do with our suppliers too however as it seems that they come in at mediocre condition as well. I think they save the better fish for the pet stores. Sometimes they have special fish though like dragon fish and glofish. I think dragon fish are cool.