PDA

View Full Version : Help! 5 year old angelfish sick!

primerdimer
06-20-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I sure would like some advice!

I have a 40 gallon aquarium and 4 fish including my angel. She is my baby. I have had all the fish together for these 5 years. Nothing new added, regular water changes.

I know she is old. This morning I noticed that she was unusually excited. I thought it was because I was going to feed her and she always gets excited before I feed her and she did eat. She usually calms down afterwards but not today. She kept on trying to get my attention. I started to worry and kept my eye on her. The clincher was I noticed that she was going to the top to gulp a little air. She wasn't constantly at the surface but I do know that this is not a good sign.

Not sure what to do except for some water changes and increase the temp by a little bit. My heart aches. She was like trying to get my attention this morning!

Is there anything else I can do? Why is she gulping air?

Thank you SO much!

Julie

kaoticice
06-20-2008, 03:15 PM
Could it be due to lack of oxygen levels in the tank??
Is it possible to test the water parameters?
If its due to lack of oxygen, then increasing the temp would make it worse. I dunno can't make any accurate guess yet.
Ed

angelcakes
06-20-2008, 03:16 PM
do not increase temperature........can you get hold of an air stone? and again how does your water test?

Lady Hobbs
06-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Welcome to AC Julie.

I am so sorry to hear you are so worried over your angelfish. Having a fish for 5 years they certainly do become part of the family. I'm also sorry that I can offer up no tips as to what could be wrong with her. If you've kept fish all this time, you definately know what you're doing and I'm sure you've checked everything there is to check. There's probably nothing left but the worrying.

I do hope so that your girl is OK and is just having a strange morning. Angels have such personalities, don't they? Please stay informed as I will be thinking of you and her.

The only thing I can toss out there is the water changes. Perhaps a big water change might be in order if you always do small ones. Perhaps getting rid of more stale water may help her stop looking for the oxygen.

cocoa_pleco
06-20-2008, 03:42 PM
do a small water change and put in a airstone, that should help

primerdimer
06-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

I am beside myself with worry! I will do a huge water change today and on Sunday. I was thinking that the water was a little greenish even after I did a change earlier in the week. I do have it oxygenated but I take it the gulping means not enough oxygen. I checked the parameters- seemed just a little high on the nitrates but nothing critical.

Can angels come out of this?

And indeed Lady Hobbs my angel does have her personality!!!!!!! She is the ruler of the roost! :)

Julie

angelcakes
06-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Thank you all for your replies!

I am beside myself with worry! I will do a huge water change today and on Sunday. I was thinking that the water was a little greenish even after I did a change earlier in the week. I do have it oxygenated but I take it the gulping means not enough oxygen. I checked the parameters- seemed just a little high on the nitrates but nothing critical.

Can angels come out of this?

And indeed Lady Hobbs my angel does have her personality!!!!!!! She is the ruler of the roost! :)

Julie
yes youre angelfish should come out of this ok,my old angelfish which is no longer with us :ssad: she went through everything with me as she was the first freshwater fish i started with and i was a complete novice with no knowledge,she went through bad water,diseases etc and she finally died of old age...but still sourly missed as she had a naughty personality but funny with it,:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
06-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know what you normally do for water changes but I always do 50% a week. Many do little 10-20% that I personally don't think is enough.

You mentioned greenish water. That is an algae bloom which will deprive the tank of oxygen. If your tank is anywhere near a window you'll have to shield it from a light source. I use background cover on the side of one of my tanks for that reason.

Good luck

ladyoutlaw50
06-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Welcome to the AC --- I think you have rec'd very good advice so far -- I will be saying a prayer and wishing you loads of luck!!! Keep us updated!!

MeganL3985
06-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Best of luck with your angel!

primerdimer
06-20-2008, 08:57 PM
Thank you so much again for all of your support!!

I also just started with fish for the first time ever 5 years ago and I also did just about everything imaginable wrong!!!!!!! :) But the remaining fish are big and healthy and beautiful. My angel is my favorite ever! She is naughty! A perfect discription!!

Since I took out the live plants a long time ago it did not dawn on me that there could be an algae problem. Duhhh makes sense! I must not be making enough water changes and I think the problem built up. I will do a big one and I will keep you posted.

My co-workers think I am crazy!!! I told them that my angel has more personality than my cats!!!!

Julie

primerdimer
06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Thanks again for all of your posts!

She is doing fine!!!! Must have been something quirky. I did a 50% water change. That water could not be any cleaner!!!!

I was told that under good conditions an angelfish can live up to 10 years. I hope to get at least 5 more years from her!!

Thanks again!

Julie

donvichu
06-23-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks again for all of your posts!

She is doing fine!!!! Must have been something quirky. I did a 50% water change. That water could not be any cleaner!!!!

I was told that under good conditions an angelfish can live up to 10 years. I hope to get at least 5 more years from her!!

Thanks again!

Julie

Good to hear that your angel is doing good..dont worry she'll be with you for another 5 years and with your love and care another 5 years after that :19: :hmm3grin2orange: :19:

shiel85
06-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Agreed, your angel will keep you company for years to come. I'm glad to hear she's getting the attention she deserves. Best of luck!