PDA

View Full Version : salt with albino corys

gcnadam2906
12-07-2006, 11:22 PM
if i put salt in my tank will it hurt my albino corys at all? I've read a few things that said there were sensative to it.

jman
12-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I really think that you should try not to. why are you putting the salt in?

f1oored
12-08-2006, 05:15 AM
I have not read anywhere that corys tolerate salt well. In some tanks you can get away with a very small amount but even that isn't recommended. What is the purpose? If you are doing it for medical reasons you might want to try a salt bath for the infected fish that way you won't bother the corys. If you are looking to just keep low amounts of salt in the aquarium as a preventive measure, I would just not do it.

Lady Hobbs
12-08-2006, 05:49 AM
None of the scaleless fish do well with salt.

Fishguy2727
12-08-2006, 01:39 PM
But cories have scales, nice thick ones. One book I was reading said that cories being intolerant of salt was just a myth. Either way I woudl not do it. They are fw, not brackish or sw, so no salt. If it is needed for disease treatment, I would not expose the cories to salt. Either move them out and treat the main tank or move out the sick fish and treat the hospital tank.

Nautilus291
12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
the reason why i wanted to put salt into my aquarium is because i have platies and it when i bought them the little discription said that they need salt in the aquarium. Is this true?

Lady Hobbs
12-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Not that I've heard. My platies do fine without it. Platies do color up beautiful with the color enhanced food. You may want to try it sometimes.

Nautilus291
12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
I am using a mixture of tetracolor and tetramin. is that a good brand or should i try something else?

Fishguy2727
12-10-2006, 01:39 AM
They by no means need salt. I had the biggest ones I have ever seen grow up in a 10 gallon with no salt or heater, and I fed Hikari Cichlid Gold baby. They love it (as do all my current community fish).

freshwaterfishlover
12-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Mollies like salt and can do very well even in a brakish tank, eventhough they are freshwater. Platys I never heard of liking salt.

kimmers318
12-10-2006, 03:43 AM
I have not ever used salt with my platy's and they regularly give us babies so they must be doing okay. Alot of people use salt as a tonic, a disease treatment, or as just general maintenance for their fish...and I have even seen a petstore who writes on most tanks "will do well with a little aquarium salt in their water" but my personal feeling is it isn't needed. If all is doing well, why attempt it? If you have something going on with your cory's maybe we can help, if you used salt and now realize it might not be so good, some water changes will dilute and eventually remove it. :)

Fishguy2727
12-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Mollies are actually brackish, not freshwater. The fancier kinds need less salt because they have been bred in captivity for so long, but the more natural morphs need a decent amount of salt to thrive. They can actually live in saltwater and many people use them to cycle saltwater tanks, but this isn't really good for them since they aren't really saltwater fish.

Nautilus291
12-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I lost one of my corys today. He had an eye fungis so i put him in a different tank and used some fungi treatment. I think i used the wrong kind, on the back it said not to be used with sensative fish. i had him in there for about an hour when i noticed he was acting weird so i took him out. this morning he was barly hanging on. his eyes were cleared up but he didnt make it.

Slinky_Bass
12-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss, I hope your other corys are doing well and that the fungus didn't spread!

Nautilus291
12-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Im definatly not going to use the jungle fungi guard on my corys again. I think what killed him was a mixture of too strong of a salution for him, and i put to much in. i only had him in a half a gallon of water and it said use one teaspoon for 10 gallons so it was hard to only put a little bit in. I tried to get a drop but a little more came out.

as for my other corys. one of them seems to be sitting in one spot alot and the other is acting fine. My ammonias high so im going to do a 50% water change hopefully that helps.