PDA

View Full Version : My blood parrots stomach is huge

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2008, 08:28 PM
What is wrong with him? This is my male.

He only eats a few pellets a day.

cocoa_pleco
06-19-2008, 08:30 PM
WOW that is huge, could it be a tumor or something?

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Man, I don't know. It's only gotten that large the last couple of days. I would take food away from him but he doesn't eat that much. A few pellets each day, once a day. I gave him some spirulina today but no change. I never, ever have seen my parrots poop! They must hide behind the log when they do it.

Fishalicious
06-19-2008, 08:42 PM
I really hate posting this.....

This is a problem that seems to crop up more often than not. Because a bloated, swollen abdomen is a symptom, not a disease, it can be extremely difficult to treat. Unfortunately, in many cases, BP´s that develop severely swollen abdomens do not survive. By the time the symptoms have shown themselves, it is too late for the fish. There are various reasons why a fish will develop these symptoms. In some cases, there is a genetic problem with the fish. The fish may well be okay for the first few years, then it starts developing problems in the abdominal area. There wouldn't be any cure for this condition.

Fish can develop tumours which will cause swelling in the abdomen. Unfortunately, the only treatment for this is surgery which would probably be futile as the fish would probably not survive.

Internal bacteria or viral infections in fish can often result in them having a swollen abdomen/body. Quite often the eyes bulge and the scales are raised. This is sometimes referred to as "dropsy" This is an extremely serious condition. Remember that dropsy isn't an actual disease, it is actually a symptom of something more serious that is wrong with the fish. For this reason, it is very difficult to treat. If caught early, antibiotics might help. However, off-the-shelf may medication not work, you may have to seek professional advice and have injections administered. Again, the chances of this resulting in a cure are quite slim.

If your fish develops a balloon shaped abdomen that is soft and not hard like a tumour, this could possibly be internal organ disease which can result in fluid buildup in the abdominal cavity. There is no cure for this.

Occasionally, a severe blockage in the intestine, or constipation can cause a fish's abdomen to swell. Peas can often help relieve constipation in fish. However, not all BP´s will accept this type of food.

If you notice your BP has developed a swollen stomach in a short space of time, it just may be that he has even too much. BP´s are very gluttonous and they will eat as much as they possibly can which can result in a swollen abdomen. If the fish is showing no other signs of ill-health such as refusing food, cease feeding and see if the swollen stomach reduces in size. If it does, reduce the amount of food you give the fish and keep observing it to see if it happens again

I'll be blatantly honest with you, if your BP develops a severely bloated abdomen and stops eating, the chances are it will die. In lots of cases, it can take days, sometimes weeks for this to happen. In cases like this, the kindest thing you can do for the fish is to humanely kill it using either clove oil, or an overdose of anaesthetic.

Of course all the fingers are crossed here that it is none of the above

ladyoutlaw50
06-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I hope everything is ok!!! I will say a prayer for him

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2008, 08:54 PM
I certainly hope none of this is the case. He is eating well, swimming all over the place, colored up nicely and shows no sign of being ill. I notice the females gills are nearly black ........ a sign she is getting ready to spawn. You'd think she'd be the fat one.

My silver dollars have been spawning nearly non stop in this tank as well. I also thought he might be full of their eggs but geez..........he'd have to eat a million eggs to get this fat.

I will try some garlic soaked flakes just incase ............and bawl my head off if something is wrong with him!

skinni
06-19-2008, 10:12 PM
wow sorry to hear this, good luck hobbs hope he pulls through

sandy_n
06-19-2008, 11:20 PM
I hope it's just cause he ate those million eggs. Keeping my fingers crossed for him. Please keep us posted.

country_boy454
06-20-2008, 02:39 AM
I hope everything works out for the best with your BP Hobbs.

Lady Hobbs
06-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Thanks. Me, too. I love these guys. I just wonder if he swallowed a rock and has an obstruction in his stomach.

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2008, 02:57 AM
Hope he just ate too much, There are always other things in the tank to eat.

edut: omg i figured out why. This is just like that movie "Junior " with arnold swarcheneggar, where he gets preganet

Lady Hobbs
06-21-2008, 12:15 AM
He's had nothing to eat yet and his gut is still huge. And I have a tank of hungry fish! Now I want to reach in and squeeze him!

Billythefish
06-21-2008, 12:30 AM
WOW that is huge, could it be a tumor or something?
I'd have to agree i had a convict die of the same looking thing, sorry hobbs

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 01:38 AM
Two days without food now and I've seen him pooping so guess there's no obstruction. I was about to treat him with some Epson salts when I saw he was going on his own.

I have moved him into my 29 gallon so I can restrict his food. Hard to do that when he's in with those that get shrimp pellets, algae pellets, spirulina flakes and regular flake. I suppose he was eating all that along with his cichlid pellets......altho he didn't look like this before and the other parrot looks just fine.

I keep thinking his stomach is looking smaller but afraid this is just wishful thinking on my part.