PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping Paper

Sharkman
06-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Anyone use wrapping paper or have a suggestion of something cheaper to use as a tank background than paying way too muchfor one of the ones they have at the store. I want a black background. I know wrapping paper is really cheap so I thought I may go that route.

gm72
06-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Wrapping paper is fine, as would be black cloth or cloth of any kind. There really isn't a limit as to what you could use as a background.

Annamo25
06-19-2008, 08:00 PM
I was thinking about putting a photo mosaic together for my background. But then I was worried it might stress the fish out-seeing a bunch of people faces everyday.
Have you thought about checking a scrapbooking store? They would probably have cool black paper that would look nice.

gm72
06-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Fish will adapt to their environment in due time. I have thought about, in my daughter's 29 gallon tank, pressing wildflowers and creating a mosaic laminate for the back. Suitably colorful for her tastes.

snipers_den
06-19-2008, 08:24 PM
You can use a whole of things for a backdrop.....I go too the dollar stores and get the large colored sheet papers....when I want to change the background I just put up a differant color sheet....aluminum foil works good too..

troy
06-20-2008, 03:09 AM
You could use black construction paper.

Abbeys_Mom
06-20-2008, 03:13 AM
One of my tanks, I actually just painted the back of the tank. I used acrylic paints, and when I got tired of it, it just peeled right off.

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2008, 03:38 AM
Here is what you do. You get a black trash bag and rip it so there is only 1 layer and it is about the size the back of the tank. Then spred vaseline all over the back of the tank (or cooking oil) and attach the trash bag. Smooth it out witha credit card or something.

Abbeys_Mom
06-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Here is what you do. You get a black trash bag and rip it so there is only 1 layer and it is about the size the back of the tank. Then spred vaseline all over the back of the tank (or cooking oil) and attach the trash bag. Smooth it out witha credit card or something.

Sounds messy

Incredulous_Ed
06-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Not really. I did it and the background has been attached for about a year now, without any trouble with it.

ladyoutlaw50
06-20-2008, 05:43 PM
WOW I had no idea there were so many ways to do the back of the tank!! I am amazed -- now I have to figure out which one will work best for me!!!
:c2:

Arkie
06-22-2008, 05:53 AM
a few years back(ok alot of years ago lol) i painted a wetland scene in our spare room, it had the water, land, plants wildlife, the whole bit. never really thought much about it untill i was looking at my photos of my turtle tank and noticed that it was making an excellent background!!! im slow, the tank had been against that wall for a good 2 mths before i even realised it lol. im not saying to paint your back wall but maybe if you were artisticly minded you could paint a large piece of paper and stick that on the back. :11:

TorqueWorks
06-22-2008, 12:36 PM
You can also use poster board. It comes in 24 x 48" sheets and is usually around $2.00 a sheet.