PDA

View Full Version : Which breed angel

C-Dub
06-18-2008, 11:20 PM
which breed of angels would work well with serpae n pristella tetras, n pearl gouramis?

Dave66
06-18-2008, 11:41 PM
which breed of angels would work well with serpae n pristella tetras, n pearl gouramis?

Only two species of freshwater angelfish available, C-Dub; Pterophyllum scalare and P. altum, with the former 10 times more common. Color variations are man-made by selective breeding of scalares over the last 70 years, so the color of the angelfish means absolutely nothing. They are simply P. scalare sp. 'domesticated'.
Personally, I prefer the wild-type of the species.

Dave

C-Dub
06-18-2008, 11:48 PM
oh wow, I did not know that. I'ts funny you do all this research and sometimes the very simple facts are the last thing you learn.

cocoa_pleco
06-19-2008, 12:57 AM
i prefer the wild ones too, i had a wild angel a few years ago, my favorite out of them all

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Only two species of freshwater angelfish available, C-Dub; Pterophyllum scalare and P. altum, with the former 10 times more common. Color variations are man-made by selective breeding of scalares over the last 70 years, so the color of the angelfish means absolutely nothing. They are simply P. scalare sp. 'domesticated'.
Personally, I prefer the wild-type of the species.

Dave

Dave, what about P. leopoldi? Are they not marketed in the hobby?

Dave66
06-19-2008, 09:14 AM
Dave, what about P. leopoldi? Are they not marketed in the hobby?

GB,
They are very rare in the hobby, as they aren't as marketable as the dozens of color and fin variations of scalares are, nor are they majestic like altums. To my knowledge all leopoldi are wild caught.

Dave

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Thought so, just wanted to make sure though. Thanks