PDA

View Full Version : Brine Shrimp Help

ladyoutlaw50
06-18-2008, 10:18 PM
My bf has purchased a brine shrimp hatchery (small one) and bought all he needed and followed the directions to a T -- the first batch did not live more then a couple of hours after hatching -- any ideas or suggestions -- he has some newborn bettas to feed in the next few days!!
thanks for any and all suggestions

houie925
06-18-2008, 10:35 PM
It would be helpful to know what the directions he followed actually stated.

ladyoutlaw50
06-18-2008, 11:09 PM
ok -- will go find them and post them as soon as I can

Algenco
06-18-2008, 11:14 PM
newly hatched betta's will not be able to eat bbs, thet are too small. They will need infusoria for a week or two.

Dave66 posted a good method for raising infusoria

ladyoutlaw50
06-18-2008, 11:23 PM
Here is what he did -- he bought Sally's Hatch Mix (brine shrimp eggs and salt) He cleaned a large plastic soda bottle and cut off the bottom -- put water and an aerator in then followed these directions from the packet
"pour 1 packet of san francisco bay bran khtach mix into container, add 1 liter of water, keep temp between 80-82 degrees, maint ph of 8.0 or above and eggs should hatch in 24 - 36 hours. After eggs hatch, turn off aeration device, wait 5 -10 minutes for shells to float to the top and baby shrimp will swim to the bottom where you can siphon them into a fine mesh next. Rinse baby brine in fresh water and feed."
The packet says that it is the smallest commercially availabale egg on the market.
I know nothing -- anyway -- wondering how to keep them alive

thanks

Algenco
06-18-2008, 11:32 PM
they should live in the hatcher for 24hrs, although they have little or no nutritional value by that time.
They will only live in fresh water for an hour or so.
Take out what you need to feed, return any leftovers to the hatcher. You really need 2 hatcher's, reset one each day that way you have a constant supply of newly hatched shrimp.

I feed live bbs everyday

Algenco
06-18-2008, 11:34 PM
If you want to raise betta's you need to have an infusoria culture, microworms would be nice too.

ladyoutlaw50
06-18-2008, 11:38 PM
Thank you very much for your help!! I don't know much about betta's -- that is his thing and the cichlids are mine!! He knew I have learned a great deal on here -- so he asked me to ask "my people" LOL

I appreciate you getting back to me so quickly -- I have forwarded the info on to him