PDA

View Full Version : How do you fix plastic base on a glass tank??

TanyaAD138
06-18-2008, 04:10 PM
I just noticed today that the black base to my 55gal tank is cracking for no reason!

How do I fix this? Can it even be fixed? Or do/should i just throw the tank away and get a new one? ( I really dont want to. :( )

ANY info would help GREATLY !!! I just stocked my tank not too long ago and noticed the cracks AFTER i just loaded her with fish http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/images/smilies/laugh1blue.gif soooo annoying!!!

Thanks
Tanya

cocoa_pleco
06-18-2008, 04:12 PM
do you mean the trim? i would just silicone a piece of glass or plastic over it, but if its just a small crack, its no big deal

Rue
06-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Yes, the plastic trim is just decorative. Glue it, use electrical tape, etc....it won't affect the use of the tank at all...

TanyaAD138
06-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, it's the BOTTOM plastic trim. It's cracked down to the edge and i can see/feel another crack comming ... What's causing this???

So it's not gonna effect the strength of the tank eh? Well that's good to hear!! :D

Thanks everyone.

Rue
06-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Could just be a poorly manufactured bit of plastic.

The only thing I would check is to make certain your tank itself is absolutely level...if it's not, that could affect the trim - if it's somehow twisted or is being pushed up at one corner...but more importantly that could cause your tank to fail...

TanyaAD138
06-20-2008, 01:35 AM
The ground around here is ALWAYS shifting so getting that tank level and to stay level is nearly impossible ( i live on a hill on a ledge pretty much). I've leveled it once already but its still off a little bit. No more then an inch though.

toddnbecka
06-20-2008, 03:42 AM
If you're having levelling problems, use a piece of styrofoam slightly larger than the tank to distribute the weight evenly.

TorqueWorks
07-13-2008, 01:35 PM
TanyaAD138,

I recommend you get a 2 part epoxy and repair the cracks. If you go to your local hardware store you can find something that will work on plastic. If your tank is out of level that much, that can possibly cause more stress on the seams of the tank. Which the stress then will be transfered to the plastic. Is there any discoloration around the cracks? How old is the tank? The plastic could possibly dried out and brittle. Is there any way you could post a picture of the crack?

Jason

cocoa_pleco
07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
lol, old thread, and tanya hasnt been on since june

TorqueWorks
07-13-2008, 05:10 PM
thumbs2:my bad!!

TanyaAD138
07-23-2008, 04:01 PM
LOL .. sorry i haven't had the chance lately to check back here. Im still around.. in fact i have new questions.. Check the posts ;)