PDA

View Full Version : what kind of rainbowfish is this?

Kaga's Kritters
06-18-2008, 03:21 PM
I recently got 2 of these rainbowfish. They told me they were turqouise rainbows. I am not so sure though. What do you think? They are about 2in max in size right now. the pic is the best i have gotten so far, they move fast, lol. they have a real thin yellow strip down their side and some black barring that kind of comes and goes. only about 3-4 bars though. i have been trying to find pics on the internet but havent found anything that looks like them yet.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Looks like a pale Australian or a female Indian Red.

Devon Greatwolf
06-18-2008, 04:14 PM
I was thinking female bosemanii, my young females look very similar to the oicture. I also have some bosemanii/kutubu(true turquiose) hybrid females that look very close to this.

Ryuu
06-18-2008, 04:26 PM
THere kidn acool looking lol, sorry dong know tho

Fishalicious
06-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Looking at it first that sprang to mind is juvenile
Melanotaenia splendida splendida - Eastern Rainbowfish

It is difficult to tell when they are juveniles and have no coloring as many share the same body shape... if it is the turquoise then it is the Melanotaenia lacustris and it is safe to say you definately have Melanotaenia ;) ;)

Time and coloring will tell for sure

Kaga's Kritters
06-19-2008, 01:44 AM
in my searching on the net i too found that it's definitely a Melanotaenia. I also thought it kind of looked like possibly an Eastern Rainbowfish. Thanks for all the help and I will watch as they grow and see what coloring they get. I do believe they are female though, unless they get more body size as they grow.

Lady Hobbs
06-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Not a turquoise or a boesemani for sure but beyond that......? Unless you got them from a breeder, they could be a mixed species, too.

Dave66
06-19-2008, 05:22 AM
Kaga,
If you've the room, get five or six more of that species. Rainbows don't do well in less than six individuals, as they are semi-aggressive when kept in small numbers or alone, as it's unnatural for them.
Jess nailed the species. They'll color up once they pass two, two and a half inches.

Dave