PDA

View Full Version : We need a plant lighting and type of plant sticky

PUNISHER VETTE
06-18-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm seeing way too many threads about what kind of light to get, what plants will grow with a certain level of lighting and whats the difference between the lights.

Sure it's a very confusing and i'm sure i've even asked a bunch of questions when i was new but if you had an informative sticky about it all it would definitely help i think.

Algenco
06-18-2008, 03:04 AM
I think there are too many variable, tank depth, type of lighting, T-5.T-6,T-8,T-12, CF( which is a bent HO T-5), MH.

There are no set rules for plant A with light B etc

Lady Hobbs
06-18-2008, 03:07 AM
I agree. Some grow great plants with less light and others think you need more lights. The lights rather go hand in hand with whether you use CO2 and ferts, too.

http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2008, 03:09 AM
Quite true. I know of people who have successfully grown Glosso under just 2wpg of PC light, however they provided the perfect balance of CO2 and ferts with it. Glosso is considered by most to be a plant that requires at least 4wpg of PC light. Too many variables to consider.

cocoa_pleco
06-18-2008, 03:21 AM
agreed, like everyone else said, too many variables

smaug
06-18-2008, 03:26 AM
Thats why were here isn't it,to answer questions.People want to hear it from someone directly mostly.I know I prefer to type it out one on one so to speak.Besides there is already a huge amount of info they could search out if they really wanted to.

digital3
06-18-2008, 04:30 AM
Absolutely. I'm having great success with 2 wpg. If anything I would recommend sites like rexgrigg.com or plantedtank.net (as hobbs mentioned). Unfortunately all of the variables involved would take up a whole site (like the ones listed).

And I do agree with Smaug. It gives us plant heads a chance to dish out some knowledge, cuz in the end we get to learn more ourselves. At least I know I have learned loads from people like Fishalicious, Algenco, Dave66, GB and Smaug... And Punisher, I've learned a lot reading about your experiences and lending a helping hand whenever I can.

Like my name dropping??? Lol!

digital3
06-18-2008, 04:37 AM
Oh yeah, furthermore. If you just post a "guide" people take it too literally and then they run into problems. Like Algenco said, variables variables variables. That's what happened to me. I read, "more light" so I shot my tank up to 4 wpg and watched it all fall apart before my very eyes. It wasn't until I read about Co2, ferts, and the fact that too much light requires more maintenance that I was able to get things straightened out.

I'm just afraid, someone will easily make that mistake if we type up a massive light guide and they pickup a big old lighting fixture for there Java Fern/Moss and Anubias... you get the idea.

PUNISHER VETTE
06-18-2008, 05:01 AM
Yeah there are a lot of variables but there also has to be a general/average that most can at least learn from.

Maybe a few good links instead of having to post them in every thread. But i wouldn't want that to drive people to other sites so it might not work.

Anyway i guess it doesn't matter as i tend to just read and move on as one of you have already done most of the work. So if you guys are fine with answering in each thread then don't let me stop you.

jeffandkittie
06-29-2008, 10:52 PM
i was thinking of writing something about this because i have a few plants that say they require high light out put but are doing well in my moderate light (2.5 watts per gal) tank because of the ferts and the substrate I'm guessing i was thinking if you had say a 125 gal long tank that is much shorter then a say 90 gal the same amount of light is going to be more intense in the 125 because the light has less water to travel threw but i have only just started with my planted tank and don't have much experience with lighting.

-jeff-