PDA

View Full Version : needle leaf java fern

MiamiCuse
06-18-2008, 12:15 AM
I have a clump of it and wanted to plant it in my aquarium. I think this one cannot be planted into a substrate and need to be attached to some driftwood.

If I don't have driftwood what would be another option?

Coral rock?

Chicken wire mesh?

A pair of untreated bamboo chopsticks?

A small piece of porous tile?

How would you attach the rhizome to the material? fish wire?

MiamiCuse
06-18-2008, 01:38 AM
I have a few sticks of bamboo, those are the ones they sell to be used to anchor orchids. They are thin and dried. I think they should be relatively inert. I want to try and put two into my tank just kind of in the back and tie my needle leaf java fern to it. I needed something at the mid level and this is one way I can see how to do it.

Algenco
06-18-2008, 02:01 AM
rock or the tile would work good

Sasquatch
06-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Yeah, rock or tile should be good. Watch out for the coral rock though, if it's carbonate it could slowly dissolve in your tank and mess up the water parameters (pH, hardness).

As for attaching it, cotton thread. It'll eventually disapear on it's own, but by that time, the java fern should be firmly attached on it's own.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Actually, as long as you don't bury the rhizome, substrate is fine for these plants. I've had great success with this plant being planted in this manner.

Fishalicious
06-18-2008, 11:51 AM
I also have java fern and others with rhizome just sitting on the substrate rather than planted in it and they are all growing great