PDA

View Full Version : My ponds and garden

Garden Rebel
06-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Here are some pics of my backyard I took yesterday. So far there are 2 ponds, and my next project when I have time will be connecting them with a small stream and another waterfall from the upper to the lower pond. The lower pond has five 14 in Koi, and as of last week about 100 tadpoles from wild frogs that must have found it recently. The upper pond was recently built, and I want to dedicate it to Lotus plants, an exotic kind of water lily, which I have 4 species planted in 20 gallon tubs on the bottom of the pond, but they haven't made it to the surface yet, it may take a week or two longer. I'm trying to keep this pond for tropical fish, and am trying to carefully pick fish that are tolorant of cooler water. So far I have some pairs of Paradise fish, and some Beta's. I'll be adding others like White clouds, Convicts, and others that seem happy in slightly coolish water a few weeks out of the year, but I'll heat the upper pond if I have to to keep it in a good temp range.

Enjoy.

sandy_n
06-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Absolutely beautiful. It looks so serene and peaceful...I'd be spending all my time out there. :1luvu:

ladyoutlaw50
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
that is absolutely beautiful!!! I wish I had something like that -- wish I had the room to have something like that!!

krisco
06-17-2008, 11:21 PM
wow! Beautiful. I so want to do that in my backyard. I got the room, just not the know how.

How long did it take you to put that together?

smaug
06-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Very nice,it would be great to keep trops in a pond,old man winter frowns on that up here where Im at.

Garden Rebel
06-20-2008, 12:42 AM
How long did it take you to put that together?

I started 2 years ago.. And will probably still be adding to it 2 years from now...
The worst part is digging out the hole, after that, and laying in the liner, it's more fun than work.. I probably piddle around outside for an hour or so every morning, but now thats mostly just pulling weeds.. haha...

Very nice,it would be great to keep trops in a pond,old man winter frowns on that up here where Im at.

Well, I built my first pond in SLC Utah, and it was frozen for 3-4 month of the year... If it's 3 ft deep or so, Koi and goldfish will be fine, I even had a few frogs that wintrered under the ice, just taking a breath every so often where the water from the filter broke the ice up... Now they have pond heaters that keep a hole melted in the surface, which helps alot prevent winterkill...

Right now it's tooooo HOT here, and the ponds water feels more like the water in a hot tub, and the fish all disapear much of the day down deep...

Thanks for the comments..

xoolooxunny
06-20-2008, 12:56 AM
wow, you're awesome. Beautiful work, great layout. I would be spending a majority of my free time with that, but very little of it would be just sitting!

skinni
06-20-2008, 01:09 AM
thats a really cool pond :19:

Gemstone
06-20-2008, 09:17 AM
aggg that is beautiful...you have a good eye...and I am extremely jealous..:c3: One can see the love and effort you are putting into your water garden..would love to see more pics as you progress

angelcakes
06-20-2008, 09:41 AM
thats a nice pond.........wish my lillies would stay like that!!! my koi keep eating ours:hmm3grin2orange:

donvichu
06-22-2008, 12:29 PM
very nice pond.wish I had one too :hmm3grin2orange:

Garden Rebel
08-10-2008, 05:07 AM
It is better to reign in hell than to serve in heaven

Guess I gotta add another one to my prayer list...............? :1luvu:

I'll add more pics in a day or two...... It's too hot here to do much outside.....