PDA

View Full Version : Puppy trouble

Ryuu
06-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Hey all, sorry, well we just got a dog a month ago, she is a long haired german sheperd, and she is 9 weeks, well, she has a biting problem, we have bought her countless chew toys, but still her favorite chew toy is humans, so, is there any way that she can be trained to not bite, otherwise we will have to get rid of her, and I realy really dont want to

Fishalicious
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM
A lot of helpful hints and a video
http://www.dog-obedience-training-review.com/how-to-stop-a-puppy-from-biting.html

MeganL3985
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
My boston terrier hannah was very nippy as a puppy.....and having her as a puppy around my daughter who was a baby at the time....the nipping had to be stopped abruptly. So we gave her two warnings. You have to work them consistantly for this to work though. It has to always be no, not just sometimes. Warning one....Make an abrupt noise (doesn't need to be loud) to get their attention, at the same time putting your hand up flat a few inches infront of their mouth/face, saying "No bite!" Use a firm voice but without yelling. If they do it again after doing that, I use cold water in a water bottle (on a mist setting) and spray. That method worked so well for us, that even now.....3 years later, Hannah still stops whatever she's doing if the water bottle is even within an eyes view. We don't even have to spray it.
Just make sure that you use a new, clean water bottle with only water. Label it water and only use it for its designated purpose. That way you never have to wonder if your using the right or wrong bottle.

Lady Hobbs
06-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Pups love to naw. They have no hands to play with and only have their mouths. He is probably cutting his second teeth, too. I gave mine lots of old socks with a knot in the center in all the chewies I could think of.

I slap on the nose with NO every time he bites also will get him to finally understand.

skinni
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
both of these are excellent suggestions... just make sure you follow through and do the same correction everytime.

Ryuu
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Ill try both im getting a water spray bottle as I type lol

toddnbecka
06-18-2008, 07:40 AM
My shepherd was raised outdoors in a pen with the other pups from the litter. When I brought her home she stank from the poop they had been living in, had a serious case of hookworms, and acted very shy. After a trip to the vet for shots and deworming, she became a very lively little holy terror for biting. It was simply lack of socialization, not surprising since she was used to playing/competing with her littermates. Patience and gentle treatment were all that were necessary to teach her that people weren't for biting. Now she's a very loving dog.

Mvjnz
06-18-2008, 11:48 AM
The puppy was taken from its mum way way too early. They need to stay with their mum until they are 8 weeks old, that way they learn that if they bite too hard it hurts. Your puppy never learnt that.

luvfins
06-18-2008, 02:22 PM
So the pup was only 5 weeks old when you got her? That is much too early! Was she abandoned by her mother or something?
She is definetely teething. I would get her a frozen toy, they have them in petstores like baby teething rings.
Megans advice is great....a loud "Ow" or "hey" should teach her bite inhibition, and then replace your hand with a toy lol.
Is she actually nipping, or just "mouthing" your hand?

Kaga's Kritters
06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
I don't know what the laws are where you live but here in PA it is illegal to sell, barter, trade, or give away and puppy or kitten before the age of 7 wks. If you pup was 5 wks old when you got her that is definitely way to early to leave the mother. They have a lot they need to learn from their mom before they go to new homes. The longer they stay with mom the better.

oldhead
06-18-2008, 03:22 PM
As suggested earlier I would make a loud noise or yelp when the pup nips and cease play immediately. Another way that worked with my Bostons was to yelp and then pinch they're mouth shut and tell them "no bite". Depending on your dog's intelligence this could be a quick lesson or a long one. Mine are pretty smart so it didn't last longer than a week at 9wks of age. Defnitely get that habit broken soon though, it'll be even worse as it matures.

MeganL3985
06-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Whoa, didn't notice the 9 weeks, already had a month part! Oh yeah, baby is definitely teething! Try some little gumabones or nyla bones, they're really good for chewing also...and hold up to sharp little baby teeth. I wouldn't do the spray bottle until she's a little older....he won't understand. If she's biting you or someone else, push her off of you and then hand her a toy. That will redirect her to chew on her toy instead of your arm or what not. Yes she's much too young. We didn't even get our dog hannah from the breeder until she was 9 weeks old.

Ryuu
06-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Yeah, ive been doing the water and the yelling thing, so far she is doing a bit better, and we met some people on a walk yesterday, and they were all over her and she didnt bite so thats awesome!

Soz just read ur post megan, and I will try that today, she is kidna confused on the water lol

oldhead
06-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Good luck and be consitent! 5 weeks is definitely too young to be seperated from the mom. 8 weeks is definitely the bare minimum for bring home. It's gives the mom and the rest of the litter to teach things like bite inhibition.

Ryuu
06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
No we got her at 7 weeks she is now 9, so oh wait thats sorry a half a mothn ago

Rue
06-18-2008, 04:18 PM
A 9-week old puppy is still a total baby...of course you have to train her...but at that age yelling and spraying is more likely to cause long-term behavioural issues than to solve anything.

That fact that you're ready to 'get rid of her' so early on in the game also worries me. A dog is a long-time commitment. Dogs are not easy. They take a lot of work - and while the first 4 years of a dog's life are the most work - it doesn't end - you have an entire new set of issues with senior dogs.

I would suggest the best option for you is to meet with an experienced dog trainer who has the time to sit down with you and the dog and explain what puppies are about and how to go about training them. Secondly, sign up for training classes when the puppy is old enough.

It will be money well-spent - and in the long run, likely will save you money (vs. replacing destroyed belongings, etc.).

If you're not willing to put in the time and money - then do get rid of her now...but you do owe her the opportunity of a good home...not just dumping her on the first person that comes along.

And whoever sold you a 5 week old puppy? Maybe report them to the humane society...

Ryuu
06-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Im not the one that watns to get rid of her, its my moms boyfirend, he dostn like dogs, but I dont care whenther he likes it she was ther before them so..... And she was 7 weeks when we got her....