PDA

View Full Version : My sealing job looks like crap... question...

Scott_S
06-17-2008, 04:46 AM
Not quite as easy as I thought it would be, to do it pretty, that is.

I used one of those caulking spreader tools, even. I probably should've run masking tape about 3/16" away from the seam, on both surfaces, so I could've lifted it off before it cured, revealing a nice straight line, but...

Question for those with experience...

Once cured, can I trim down a seam where I goofed to try to straighten it up, or would that be compromising the seal? Hope this makes sense...

Thanks in advance... :)

Incredulous_Ed
06-17-2008, 04:57 AM
It shouldt compromise thhe seal, as long as it isnt to close to where the glass meets.

Sounguru
06-17-2008, 05:00 AM
I usually leave the tape until cured.

What I do is tape where I want the silcone to stop. The put a big load down the seam use a plastic spoon to smooth it. A little water on the spoon helps stop the silcone from sticking. Wait util dry then with a razor blade cut right on the line of the tape and remove. Haven't had a leaker yet and get a nice clean seam.

Scott_S
06-17-2008, 05:13 AM
It shouldt compromise thhe seal, as long as it isnt to close to where the glass meets.

Beautiful. That's what I wanted to hear... :) I didn't want to rip out the new stuff to do it over (and one seam was tempting me...) Taking off the old stuff was enough fun to last me awhile ;).

Next time, when I use masking tape, I'll leave it until cured, as suggested. That sounds like the better way.

Thanks for the quick replies, guys... :)

Sounguru
06-17-2008, 05:18 AM
No prob ... Hey you are just across the great pond from me I'm over in Belfair.:hmm3grin2orange:

Ocellaris
06-27-2008, 12:31 AM
I just did my 72 like the way you did. Used tape and a spreader tool. but as soon as I spread the bead smooth, I removed the tape. That way I didn't have to use a razor to cut the tape out. I tried to keep it as thin as possible at the tape and it didn't look bad. I just wanted to make sure you couldn't see the silicon above the bottom trim piece around the tank.

Scott_S
06-27-2008, 05:31 AM
No prob ... Hey you are just across the great pond from me I'm over in Belfair.:hmm3grin2orange:

Sweet. Finally getting some summer around these parts, eh?

You wouldn't happen to Know where to get Bio-Spira in the state of Washington, would you? I can't find it anywhere.

Sounguru
06-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Nope sure don't ...... I like to cycle my tanks with no additives or use old water and gravel from an established tank.