PDA

View Full Version : Cichlid Question

pes142
06-16-2008, 01:41 PM
I figured i would post this here, since i am not sure what category unpurchased cichlids fall under. I recently came into possession of a fifteen gallon, cycled tank. I would like to put some cichlids in it. I have kept small bluegill and other aggressive native fish, so i am aware that, at max, two fish in this tank would be pushing it. i was just curious what would be a good starter cichlids. My only other experience with cichlids was a well intentioned gift from my girlfriend of 3 "mixed cichlids" for a ten gallon. I put as much cover as i could in the tank, but they killed each other in no time. I don't want to make that mistake again, so i am looking for any tips at all.

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2008, 01:57 PM
I'd be a little afraid to try cichlids in this tank because it's so small and cichlids are all rather territorial. By the time you have decorations and rocks in the tank, you end up with about 10 gallons. And fish have babies! Others may give some suggestions but personally, I wouldn't go that route.

pes142
06-16-2008, 01:59 PM
having dealt with overstocked tanks in the past, the last thing i want to do is repeat those mistakes again. I hate to say, because i do like platys and tetras, but i have had them for years now, and with this tank, i would like to try something a little different.

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2008, 02:07 PM
Let's hope someone else will think of something that will work for you. How about little shell dwellers. They are rather cute.

I know what you mean about community fish. I am rather tired of mine, too. Cichlids are doing something all the time and more fun to watch. Community fish just....swim. duh

pes142
06-16-2008, 02:11 PM
I know those colorful little blobs swimming back and forth, never bothering each other or interacting... after two years, that can get a little boring. The only exciting fish i have in my tropical tank right now is a betta i rescued from a half full quart bowl. I couldn't believe this fish could survive in a pint of rarely changed water, but there he was. Now he is lively when the lights are on and food is in the water, but he hangs out in the plants at the surface and looks dead whenever the lights aren't on. I hope he makes it. But any way, i just wanted something a little more exciting than a guppy for my tank.

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2008, 02:12 PM
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/cichlid/shelldwellers.php

Here ya go and I found it right here.

cocoa_pleco
06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
shelldweller tanganyikans are definitely interesting, i had lamp. brichardi a while ago, slow growers and cool fish

Lady Hobbs
06-16-2008, 02:13 PM
LOL We just come up with the same idea.

pes142
06-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks that might be just what the doctor ordered, something with a little personality!!

Nick89
06-16-2008, 07:28 PM
i wouldn't have any type of mid sized cichlids in anything under a 20g Long, such as I have. Reason being is, its more about the dimensions of a tank for cichlids.. Do research BEFORE buying fish.. Many people each day "buy" before they think..

pes142
06-16-2008, 07:33 PM
Well, like i said, i think this fish is far in the future. Before you say anything that would seem silly to someone who read the whole thread, i have not bought anything yet, i have not even started to put the fish in. I was simply commenting on the fact that i am getting tired of the usual livebearers and smaller fish like tetras, and i wanted to see what my other options were.

Fishalicious
06-16-2008, 07:40 PM
Pes I think you are being a responsible fishkeeper by asking around first which shows you are doing your research :19:

Small Shelldwellers are fascintating and very funny and of the Neolamprologus would be nice in this tank size... don't bother arranging the tank the way you like it as they will quickly do that for themselves... hilarious watching the little fish move their shells around

pes142
06-16-2008, 07:43 PM
That is just the kind of action i am looking for. Now i just want to find them in a store near my house. It has been a long time since i have shopped for fish, i went to the pet store this afternoon, and my head was spinning from the varieties of cichlids and such that i could see.

Devon Greatwolf
06-16-2008, 08:18 PM
You could also look into some of the central and south American dwarf cichlids such as German Blue Rams. I am currently keeping/breeding neolamprogus pulcher (Dafodil Cichlids) and they are great. Please see my profiles for tank stocking. Good Luck!

pes142
06-16-2008, 09:23 PM
How many of the dwarf cichlids could i expect to keep in a fifteen gallon? I am looking into the shell dwellers now, i think i could keep two or three, based on what i have read, what about the dwarfs?

Fishalicious
06-16-2008, 09:49 PM
I personally would not keep south american dwarfs in anything less that 20 gallon...and then as a pair.

With the shelldwellers you could get 1 male and 3 females - expect them to breed pretty frequently though :19:

pes142
06-16-2008, 10:00 PM
will they eat their babies? because i will have nowhere to put the fry

Fishalicious
06-16-2008, 10:04 PM
No they won't eat their babies...cichlids are very protective of their young and very good parents. The males will kill each other off at a certain age if not seperated - maybe a good idea to ask your local LFS if they would be willing to take any young from spawnings.

You would have the same with South American Dwarfs - if you have a couple and they are kept in good conditions they will nearly always breed.

pes142
06-16-2008, 11:50 PM
hmm, well thank you for telling me that, because the last thing i need is a tank full of cichlid fry.

Ryuu
06-17-2008, 12:47 AM
i would go with rams, you can get a pair of them, some examples are aspistos bolivian german blue and blue ram, there really pretty, and they have a lot of personality

cichlid guy
06-17-2008, 05:42 AM
I know those colorful little blobs swimming back and forth, never bothering each other or interacting... after two years, that can get a little boring. The only exciting fish i have in my tropical tank right now is a betta i rescued from a half full quart bowl. I couldn't believe this fish could survive in a pint of rarely changed water, but there he was. Now he is lively when the lights are on and food is in the water, but he hangs out in the plants at the surface and looks dead whenever the lights aren't on. I hope he makes it. But any way, i just wanted something a little more exciting than a guppy for my tank.
True.Cichlids are always doing something plus they're fun to wacth and possibly even pet!There is always oone spot my JD loves the most and he goes there all the time.He hates having other fish in the tank.I guess that is his stress reliever for him.

pes142
06-17-2008, 07:26 PM
I think a JD would be a little too big for my tank, but i am seriously considering the shell dwellers and maybe a couple dwarf cichlids. If i plant the tank heavily, and only put a couple in, would this help? Obviously with the shell dwellers i would substitute lots of shells for lots of plants.

Fishalicious
06-17-2008, 08:24 PM
It's either shell dwellers or dwarfs you can't have both as they are from completely different water set ups

Shell Dwellers need a High PH to thrive and most SA dwarfs a low PH... I also as stated before wouldn't like to keep SA dwarfs in anything under 20 gallons - after spawning they can sometimes get rough with each other...although Kribs might work they stay docile towards each other after spawning and don't need a low PH

pes142
06-17-2008, 08:57 PM
I was wondering if the planting would help diminish some of the aggression. I know you can't keep the two types together, i thought the types from different lakes would ?fight? as well as require different water params.

Fishalicious
06-17-2008, 09:28 PM
The aggression will be minimal if you have a male and a female - if you place 2 males in a tank that size then world war III will break out....as well as 2 females with many.

Two different types of cichlid are also a no-no as you mentioned apart from needing different parameters they would indeed fight to no end.

Heavy planting or lot's of shells are definately a good idea regardless - think of 3- 4 shells at least per female.

pes142
06-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Yea, right now i am leaning towards the shell dwellers, just because they sound like they have the most personality, but if my research tells me they are tougher to take care of than dwarfs, i will go with dwarfs. Seeing as these are my first cichlids, i want to make it as easy as possible to make their lives happy and healthy.

Ryuu
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
Well good for you for caring! Imo would say that normally the shell dwelers are a little harder, but not enough to where you have to switch

Devon Greatwolf
06-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Yea, right now i am leaning towards the shell dwellers, just because they sound like they have the most personality, but if my research tells me they are tougher to take care of than dwarfs, i will go with dwarfs. Seeing as these are my first cichlids, i want to make it as easy as possible to make their lives happy and healthy.

I have to say that I have had problems with the dwarfs, manly do to weak stock in my area. I have tried several times to establish a pair of GBR's only to end up with several misshapen or deformed individuals who don’t last long. On the other hand, I have found my Neolamp. Pulchers to be very easy to care for and prolific breeders (I currently have eight separate clutches hatched and crowding my tanks). As for the set up for the pulchers, which are more cave dweller than shell dweller, I used a substrate of mixed aragonite and crushed coral. I dose standard aquarium salt at WC's. I have a nice tubeworm stalk cluster (which is like the hatchery/nursery) and various shells. The tank is also moderately planted with anubias nana, coffee leaf anubias, java fern, and lace java fern. My grow-out tank is similar in set up. (See my profile for 20-gallon tanks "E" and "F").