PDA

View Full Version : Insanity overrulles...my pico ressurected

gem
06-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok...so I blame it on GB. I was thinking of doing this anyway.....but between him setting up a 2.5 gal and Melev's reef, I got a bug up my behind....so it begins...this is as far as I've gotten.....

gem
06-15-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll explain the basics

2.5 gal aga tank
18 watt coralife power compact 50/50
AC 20 HOB filter
rio 180 powerhead
Bare bottom

:c12:

Dave66
06-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Gemmy,
Man that powerhead shows just how little that tank is. Just can't get my mind around the pico reefs; keeping them stable must be a real bear with that little volume of water. Far as reef size, it'd be like me going from a cable internet back to dial-up to start a pico. Good luck with it, Gemmy:) Brave woman you are.

Dave

gem
06-15-2008, 08:17 PM
LOL Dave...you know I did it before. You helped. LOL But yeah....it feels like just a little toy now comapred to my other tank. Keeping the levels wasn't all that bad before. But....I did pretty much babysit the tank daily....soooooo.

Here's another pic. I didn't have a powerhead in it the last time. For flow, I used two HOB filters. This time it will have only the AC 20 and the powerhead. I have moddoed the powerhead and moved it to the other side of the tank. I have very little LR in it at the moment. Gonna go see what I can dig out of a friend's sump to hide that PH a little.

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2008, 09:45 PM
looks awesome! i saw melevs tank, its pretty impressive

i miss my old pico 5.5g. it had 8lbs LR, aquaclear mini, 16w T-5 light, heater, and a clownfish and clown goby. it was a nice tank

ILuvMyGoldBarb
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Copy cat!!! LOL No seriously, it's nice to know I'm not the only insane one around here. I think the BB idea is a pretty good one for that tank. That probably would have worked well in mine as well, but with the rubble substrate that I've used, I have a good bit of Live Rock in that tank. Can't wait to see how your corals do. Good luck with it.

Dave, the fun of a pico reef is the challenge involved in it. It is a bear to keep them stable, but that's the fun. :)

gem
06-15-2008, 10:33 PM
LOL copy cat heck! I did it way before you. Check my icon babe! LOL
Actually....I have kinda missed it. You reminded me I still ahve a ll the pieces. I couldn't help it...had to do it.

cocoa_pleco
06-15-2008, 11:04 PM
LOL copy cat heck! I did it way before you. Check my icon babe! LOL
Actually....I have kinda missed it. You reminded me I still ahve a ll the pieces. I couldn't help it...had to do it.

i remember a long time ago when i was gonna start a pico, it was recommended i talk to you because you had a 2.5g with a hawkfish or something

Tigerbarb
06-15-2008, 11:10 PM
I wish you luck on your setup.
Don't forget a heater, lol.

gem
06-15-2008, 11:39 PM
i remember a long time ago when i was gonna start a pico, it was recommended i talk to you because you had a 2.5g with a hawkfish or something

LOL yeah I had a pixie red spotted hawkfish in there for about 8 months. My Blueleg hermie finally got him.

gem
06-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I wish you luck on your setup.
Don't forget a heater, lol.

Why thank you. Heater...ummmm yeah. I had a tiny heater in the AC 20 the last time I set it up. I'm not sure I'm going to go with a heater in this set up. I have a feeling the powerhead will provide any heat the tank needs. We shall see how that goes while the tank cycles though.

Well...I added some more LR. Took out what I had in there last picture. I put the smaller rubble pieces in the filter. I think I'm happy with the rock for now.
I'm working out in my little brain how to do a diy micro skimmer for it that would fit in the AC 20. I'm not even going to explain it unless it works. If it doesn't work...I'm not even gonna show you. LOL
Here's one final pic for a while.

cocoa_pleco
06-16-2008, 01:56 AM
you should be fine without a skimmer

gem
06-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I'm well aware of that. I had it running for over a year with no skimmer. Have my 24 gal nano Mantis tank with no skimmer as well. But it will be fun to try to make one to fit in the AC 20 that will actually work.

gem
06-21-2008, 06:38 AM
Well...pico leaks. That tank ran for well over a year with no problems. I let it sit empty for a couple months....and suddenly it leaks. Pico tank is now "pico in a bucket". My reef club buddies found this rather amusing. I am currently ISO a new container for my resurrection. LOL

spudbuds
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Bummer, but good thing you caught it before it was full of life.

- Bill

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 01:15 AM
It'll be awesome when you get it set up. You know your stuff. Can't wait for updated photos.

gem
06-22-2008, 04:44 PM
Still pico in a bucket

spudbuds
06-22-2008, 07:01 PM
TOTM! It appears you've upgraded from a 2.5g to 5g. :sbiggrin:

Can't wait to see it all setup. Do you have any pics of your previous pico posted anywhere? A little something to wet the appetite while we're waiting.

- Bill

Dave66
06-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Pico reef folks: You're all INSANE! TWO HUNDRED GALLON TANK, 200 GALLON TANK!
Sorry, just flipped out for a bit. Just can't get my head around that tiny little bit of sea water; it just can't work, it just can't lol.
I'm ok now. Good luck with your bucket o' reef, Gemmy :)

Dave

Lady Hobbs
06-22-2008, 09:14 PM
Wish I could find my cory that's MIA. Took everything from the tank and he's long gone.

gem
06-30-2008, 01:38 AM
TOTM! It appears you've upgraded from a 2.5g to 5g. :sbiggrin:

Can't wait to see it all setup. Do you have any pics of your previous pico posted anywhere? A little something to wet the appetite while we're waiting.

- Bill

LOL Bill. Ummm pics of my original pico. My icon is my original pico. I think "pico in a bucket" should be TOTM too. :thumb: But...It's no more.....I fixed the pico tank!!!! thumbs2: No more leaks. Here's an updated pic.

gem
06-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Pico reef folks: You're all INSANE! TWO HUNDRED GALLON TANK, 200 GALLON TANK!
Sorry, just flipped out for a bit. Just can't get my head around that tiny little bit of sea water; it just can't work, it just can't lol.
I'm ok now. Good luck with your bucket o' reef, Gemmy :)

Dave

Dave, Darling...you already know I'm insane...besides...check the title of my thread! LOL
And Dave...it works it works...I did it before. LOL

gem
06-30-2008, 01:40 AM
Wish I could find my cory that's MIA. Took everything from the tank and he's long gone.

Ummmm Hobbs? OT???
Seriously...hope you find your cory.

NickFish
07-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Pico in a bucket for TOTM!

LOL, your tank's looking good Gem, can't wait to see what you put in it!

gem
07-02-2008, 02:25 AM
I've got stuff in it now. I have to wait till my daughter comes back with the good camera, then I'll post new pics.
A list of what's currently residing in the pico;

bright green zoanthids
tubs blue zoanthids
pink panther zoanthids
kenya tree
pipe organ
whammin watermelon zoanthids
button polyps
green star polyps
brown clove polyps
2 frags of just kind of blah zoathids
2 tiny hermit crabs
1 turbo snail (he'll be removed and returned to the mantis tank as soon as he's done cleaning the diatoms off the rocks.)