PDA

View Full Version : What is your favourite type of filter and why

crackatinny
12-06-2006, 10:40 PM
What is the best type of filtration system and why, also what are the good and bad points of various filtration systems

f1oored
12-06-2006, 10:58 PM
I voted for the canister for several reasons.
1. The sheer volume of water they can move is wonderful
2. There size allows for a lot of filter media
3. They don't clutter the tank like the HOBs can
4. They are silent for the most part
5. You can get many different types of media for them and run them all at once

I also like the HOB because
1. They are easy to install and easy to clean
2. The bio wheels provide a great way to get air to your good bacteria
3. They are simple and effective

Ivana
12-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Yeah.
What he said. :)

I love my little Rena. I haven't found any hang on filter that does as good a job.

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Can't vote as I've never had a canister so can't judge what I haven't had. With HOB filters, you need to plan on using two good ones on anything over a 40 gallon tho as one isn't enough to do a really good job.

jeffs99dime
12-07-2006, 03:37 AM
canister filter. hands down.

Fishguy2727
12-07-2006, 03:42 AM
-Definitely not UGF. They can very easily end up doing more harm than good.
-Overhead?
-Internals have limited needs where they are better than an external filter. If possible, space inside the tank needs to be left for the fish.
-HOB are very useful and usually very good at providing surface agitation (oxygenation). Biowheels are very good at oxygenation. Easy maintenance but low media capacity.
-Canisters are great. I think every tank from about 40 gallons and up should have a canister. They really help raise bioload capacity and the media capacity is massive.

crackatinny
12-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I have only tried the hangon type, undergravel and the old internal air type, I have undergravel in both tanks but rarely run them, 1 has the upright in the middle of the tank and the other had the upright ripped out by me after a ballon molly got stuck behind it and we could not revive her, so in my book, they can pose a serious hazzard to fatter types of fish.
I have a 4x2x2foot tank on my wishlist, and are debating between hangon and cannister, my main concern with cannister is being paranoid it will spring a leak and pump the tank dry, not to mention the mess.

Fishguy2727
12-08-2006, 01:52 AM
A 120 (4'x2'x2') definitely should have a canister. Fluval FX5 ideally. I have never had or even heard of hoses popping off the canister or anything like that, so that really is not an issue. However, one person on here (can't remember who) had a HOB leak and drain most of the tank, so the risks are there either way.

f1oored
12-08-2006, 02:00 AM
Your tank isn't going to run dry unless you are pulling water off the very bottom of the tank. You run the same risk with both types of filter, the canister is just going to empty the tank faster. Trust me if you go canister you will be happy you did. The only cons to the canister is that you need a place to put it (they are fairly large) and they are pretty costly. But you aren't going to beat them as far as filtration goes.

Fishguy2727
12-08-2006, 02:13 AM
They go right in the cabinet with no problems.

f1oored
12-08-2006, 02:31 AM
If you have a cabinet, yes they will fit inside usually. If your aquarium is on a desk or a dresser then there can be more of a problem. But you are right, most aquariums that require a canister are also going to require a stand which will easilly fit the canister. No one is going to put a 4 foot aquarium on their dresser.

crackatinny
12-08-2006, 07:14 AM
If you have a cabinet, yes they will fit inside usually. If your aquarium is on a desk or a dresser then there can be more of a problem. But you are right, most aquariums that require a canister are also going to require a stand which will easilly fit the canister. No one is going to put a 4 foot aquarium on their dresser.
No one who has put thought into it, I say this because I recently seen a picture of a 2 foot tank on a bedside table with about 4 inches hanging over either end LOL.

Neithan
12-14-2006, 02:16 AM
For now my favourite is definitely the canister, but I intend to check out a DIY biological filter at some point. Maintenance being the reason for canisters, and maintenance AND plants being the reason to test out the DIY filter ;)

kimmers318
12-14-2006, 02:35 AM
Okay...not to intentionally highjack your thread Crackatinny...but let me throw this out. I definetely agree.....canister on especially bigger tanks. I have smaller tanks with hob that are okay, and a 29 and 5 gal with the filter in the hood and have been pleased with both. But what type of canister for what size tanks? Here is my dilemma....we have the magnum 350 pro biowheel on my 65 and hubbys 90 gal....both tanks are kept nice and clean as long as maintenance is performed even though it is only "rated" up to 100 gal and I know alot of people go with filtering twice as much as a filter is rated to handle. We have 2 maybe 7" oscars and an 11" pleco in the 90 and since the texas cichlid has been gone have not had any issues with the oscars due to water quality. Before that we weren't sure if "issues" were attacks from the texas or what but now we have to think they were. Anyway.....here I go rambling again! Hubby also has a 75 gal mbuna tank that he is currently running a fluval 403 on. It filters great, but has issues with restarting when it is turned off for cleaning. This is a used filter, and the tank is on the bottom of a stand with the 90 gal on top, so we are also looking at no gravity to help the flow. A new easy to use filter for him for Christmas would make his life nicer so what recommendations do you guys have from experience? I love the biowheel systems on the magnum, but prefer the space for filter media in the fluval. We need something that can self start even when there isn't gravity to help it out, and that will filter well for an overstocked mbuna tank. Although the stock right now is okay...we have had babies and hubby is still in the "save and keep baby mode" that most of us grow out of once we have had enough batches that we have raised to adulthood and still see more coming:hmm3grin2orange: . Right now it is demasoni babies (if anyone is near us and wants some I might be able to talk him into releasing a couple!), but 2 of the newer ones look like they might be kennyi's....will have to wait a couple of weeks to see how they color up. So, what are your thoughts on a filter I can order fairly inexpensively online for a Christmas present for his tank? I don't have a problem paying for quality, but do know now we could have gotten our magnums much cheaper online.

Fishguy2727
12-14-2006, 03:31 AM
I have never been a fan of magnums. Most canisters have certain height requirements that they need to be under the tank. I do not think any of them are intended to be used on a tank like that. Because of that it may be mroe appropriate for your tank to use big HOBs like the Emperor 400 or the AquaClear 110. I'm guessing moving the 75 to its own stand is out of the question, because that is what I would suggest. The HOBs would not be ideal, but because it is on the bottom that looks like your best bet. The Biowheels will definitely help with aeration and biological filtration in a heavily stocked tank.

Severus
12-14-2006, 03:42 AM
I cant really vote as i have only used HOB filters (unfortunately) but i am looking into getting a Fluval or MAYBE an Eheim (if i have the $$) very soon.

jeffs99dime
12-14-2006, 03:44 AM
I cant really vote as i have only used HOB filters (unfortunately) but i am looking into getting a Fluval or MAYBE an Eheim (if i have the $$) very soon.

go with the eheim. you will see why the eheim costs a little more.

turbomkt
12-14-2006, 04:30 AM

Eheim. If you can't do that, get a Filstar XP series. Right now I couldn't see myself buying an Fluval except the FX5. It's a totally different build of filter than the rest of the Fluval line. I don't like the x05 series engineering.

crackatinny
12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Okay...not to intentionally highjack your thread Crackatinny...but let me throw this out. I definetely agree.....canister on especially bigger tanks. I have smaller tanks with hob that are okay, and a 29 and 5 gal with the filter in the hood and have been pleased with both. But what type of canister for what size tanks? Here is my dilemma....we have the magnum 350 pro biowheel on my 65 and hubbys 90 gal....both tanks are kept nice and clean as long as maintenance is performed even though it is only "rated" up to 100 gal and I know alot of people go with filtering twice as much as a filter is rated to handle. We have 2 maybe 7" oscars and an 11" pleco in the 90 and since the texas cichlid has been gone have not had any issues with the oscars due to water quality. Before that we weren't sure if "issues" were attacks from the texas or what but now we have to think they were. Anyway.....here I go rambling again! Hubby also has a 75 gal mbuna tank that he is currently running a fluval 403 on. It filters great, but has issues with restarting when it is turned off for cleaning. This is a used filter, and the tank is on the bottom of a stand with the 90 gal on top, so we are also looking at no gravity to help the flow. A new easy to use filter for him for Christmas would make his life nicer so what recommendations do you guys have from experience? I love the biowheel systems on the magnum, but prefer the space for filter media in the fluval. We need something that can self start even when there isn't gravity to help it out, and that will filter well for an overstocked mbuna tank. Although the stock right now is okay...we have had babies and hubby is still in the "save and keep baby mode" that most of us grow out of once we have had enough batches that we have raised to adulthood and still see more coming:hmm3grin2orange: . Right now it is demasoni babies (if anyone is near us and wants some I might be able to talk him into releasing a couple!), but 2 of the newer ones look like they might be kennyi's....will have to wait a couple of weeks to see how they color up. So, what are your thoughts on a filter I can order fairly inexpensively online for a Christmas present for his tank? I don't have a problem paying for quality, but do know now we could have gotten our magnums much cheaper online.
No worries, your questions are still on the subject, any the extra info will come in handy for anyone in the same situation

kimmers318
12-14-2006, 12:02 PM
What type/size/model # of hob filter would you guys recommend for the 75 gal? And, yes, we do run into issues having filters on the bottom of stands, but since that allows us to have more tanks:19: we have run with it. My 20 gal long is also on the bottom and although I don't have filtration issues it was a pita to figure out how to siphon well because of no gravity, but that has been solved. Next, what online places generally give better prices on filters? See, I want you guys to do all of the work for me!:1luvu:

Fishguy2727
12-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Why do you not like the Fluval 05s? I have always heard that Fluval is a big step up from Filstars. The 05s is the best line yet.

With an overstocked mbuna tank I would go with at least one Emperor 400.

Severus
12-14-2006, 03:28 PM
Thanks Jeff and Turbomkt. I think i will go with the eheim, almost everything i read and people i have talked to have nothing but good to say about it. Im sure it will be worth the extra money

jeffs99dime
12-14-2006, 09:50 PM
yes it will.

Severus
12-14-2006, 11:03 PM
haha thanks. I have a 55gal that i am gonna put it on. Im going to copy you with the stealth heaters as well. I have a really old inaccurate one on my tank now. It does the job keeping the temp around 78, but i want a new one before this one goes

cocoa_pleco
12-20-2006, 01:13 AM
canisters all the way