PDA

View Full Version : Buttokofferi?

Severus
12-06-2006, 09:33 PM
I was trying to find some info on these guys and cant come across any. I take it that is part of their scientific name? I saw two of them at my local LFS, each about 11" and they are awesome looking fish. i was wondering would they fit comfortably in a 125 gallon tank? How big can they get? Aggressive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

EDIT: If this is the wrong cichlid section feel free to move my thread

Abbeys_Mom
12-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Could you give more info? Was it African, Asian, South American, Lake Malawi or Lake Tanganyika? I could probably find it for you.

Severus
12-06-2006, 10:18 PM
I found some info on them. I searched google with a different spelling i used Buttikoferi and found out a lot about them. They are very aggresive and will kill almost all other tankmates. although rare, I read that some people have gotten two of the same size Buttikoferi to live harmoniously though. They eat almost anything and should be kept by themselves. The average size is around 1'. They are very cool fish though. If i get another tank at some point i would love to get one.

Severus
12-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Also, they are african, also known as Tilapia

LeroyBass
12-06-2006, 10:24 PM
A friend of mine has 2 Butterkoferi. He calles them Butter Coffins haha, The one fish is about 8 inches and is living ina 55 with a bunch of smaller fish. He seems to enjoy the other fish, but will deifnitely eat feeders. He's become familiar with alot of small cichlids. Definitely will need a bigger tank soon though. Your 125 should eb able to hold a few of them.

jman
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
we have 1 as well and eats like a fiend. They grow quick and big especially when the food is right along with the tank. Also they can become aggresive at feeding times. Beautiful fish

Severus
12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. So do you think if i put one in that is about the same size as my JD they would get along? My JD isnt real aggresive but he will hold his own if the Buttikoferi picks on him.

jman
12-07-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't see the problem as long as the fish have hiding spots they are fine but i think you should keep an eye on them because i have heard of some serious Butterkofferi that aggression depends on there growth rate.

jeffs99dime
12-07-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. So do you think if i put one in that is about the same size as my JD they would get along? My JD isnt real aggresive but he will hold his own if the Buttikoferi picks on him.

it's hard to say. all personalities are different. you just have try it out.

Severus
12-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Yea, maybe ill give it a shot. If i do it it most likely wont be until after the holidays but i will be sure to let everyone know how it goes