PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo Shrimp

Drip Loop
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
I recently purchased one of these for my little tank and read up on them. I was hoping if anyone had additional experience with them they would share with me. One thing to note. When I added him to the tank, he molted in about 15 minutes after being put in. Is that normal? Bad? Good?

Thanks for the help.

Red
06-14-2008, 09:23 PM
They filter the water for poop food etc and they are good at it........ i think him molting is fine and all

Drip Loop
06-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Should I remove his molt? I heard some shrimp will eat it for extra calcium. Does this shrimp do the same thing?

Drip Loop
06-14-2008, 10:44 PM
shameless bump

shockshockshad
06-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Nope, don't remove it. The only experience I have is that my library has a HUGE 4 inch one.

Red
06-15-2008, 01:04 AM
Here is a good link that will tell you everything about the shrimp...
http://www.petshrimp.com/bambooshrimp.html

O btw sorry it took me so long went golfing :)

Sasquatch
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Moulting just after you add them to the tank is normal. Don't know why, but it's happened to just about every crustacean I've added to a tank. You can leave the molt in there, the shrimp and other fish will eat it.

Bamboo shrimp are different than most shrimp. They like a lot of current for one, it circulates the water and stirs up particles that they feed on. They also live better in mature tanks that have a lot of "natural" particulate matter and go well in larger tanks.

If you ever see it walking on the bottom sifting through the substrate, it's hungry, drop some flakes in your filter outflow to feed it.