PDA

View Full Version : wavelike motion

kwhale
06-13-2008, 11:45 PM
There is a yellow labidochromis, 6 cm long in my tank which has started to swim/standstill by waving its body from head to tail. This was just doing fine till last night but now looks like having swimming difficulties. Other cichlid tankmates are fine and I don't see any sings of disease in anybody else.
Would you have suggestions/guides for this?
Thanks in advance!

cocoa_pleco
06-14-2008, 12:32 AM
could be shimmy disease, thats what im thinking

Nick89
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
My oscar when i go up to the tank swims quickly in place looking for food but thats normal.. Like cocoa said it could be something wrong, then again it could be normal for him.. just be sure to watch the fish over the course of the week and see if hes eating or anything not normal.

Incredulous_Ed
06-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Sounds like the shimmys. Eitehr that or the water curent is pretty strong and she shimmys because she is swimming really hard. Ive seen that before. Are her fins clamped when she shimmys?

kwhale
06-14-2008, 02:48 AM
nothing has changed about the water current. She has recently been finicky with food too; came for, gulped it, by later threw it out.
Do I need to quarantine her?

kwhale
06-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Having known the name of the disease, I googled and read about "shimmy disease". Then I eliminated all stress factors I could think of , changed 20% of water and though in safe zone, lowered ammonia a little bit and she is now doing fine.
Thanks!

kwhale
06-14-2008, 03:28 PM
man, this vide has nothing to do with fish!
thnaks for the message by the way.

kwhale
06-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Sounds like the shimmys. Eitehr that or the water curent is pretty strong and she shimmys because she is swimming really hard. Ive seen that before. Are her fins clamped when she shimmys?

man, this video has nothing to do with fish!
thnaks for the message by the way.