PDA

View Full Version : Stupid plant question

Ryuu
06-13-2008, 07:12 PM
mmk, sorry, well I got the plants ive ordered from a fellow AC member today, and it was java moss, well, I dunno why, but I thought java moss had roots? So Do I just let it sit there or what? Sorry kinda confused by it

skinni
06-13-2008, 07:15 PM
there are a couple diff ways to do java moss, you could just let it float (but chances are it would begin to spread fairly quickly) You could using some fishing line to strap it to a rock. you can also attach it to a coconut shell

Ryuu
06-13-2008, 07:21 PM
oh really awesome, does it have to be fishing line? or can it be like normal thread? im thinking of strapping it to my drift wood, that way itl spread on there

skinni
06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
i dont think it has to be fishing line... i read somewhere that you could use a rubber band... thread may be too abbrasive im not totally sure

Ryuu
06-13-2008, 07:38 PM
mmk, ill try to find a rubber band then thank you! btw one more question how fast does it grow?

skinni
06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
ha from what i understand if you dont keep an eye on it, it will take your tank over with the quickness

there is some interesting stuff here

http://www.aquahobby.com/garden/e_dubyana.php

donvichu
06-13-2008, 08:16 PM
ha from what i understand if you dont keep an eye on it, it will take your tank over with the quickness

Thanks for the info..

Algenco
06-13-2008, 08:29 PM
use cotton sewing thread, by the time the thread rots the moss will have attached. Spread it in a thin layer

country_boy454
06-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Just wondering how the plants faired on their journey to you? Hope everything went ok and they survived. First time shipping plants. Also hope you are satisfied.

smoochxoxo
06-13-2008, 10:44 PM
I have had this stuff for a few months now and really haven't noticed it "growing" I had to cram it in a hole on my driftwood in order for it to stay. My "duh almost blond moment" never thought of fishing line. Anyhow my clump is still well a clump so maybe next month when I get a chance I can spread it out a bit like that article suggests on my driftwood and secure it. On the other hand my anubia has a death grip on my pot and it wont let go!!! lol and it floated on there on accident cuz my snail was re-decorating.
Hugs and gl!

Ryuu
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Just wondering how the plants faired on their journey to you? Hope everything went ok and they survived. First time shipping plants. Also hope you are satisfied.

Lol yup im happy as a bee, and ill be sending the shipping fee in the next few days

country_boy454
06-14-2008, 12:40 AM
I have had this stuff for a few months now and really haven't noticed it "growing" I had to cram it in a hole on my driftwood in order for it to stay. My "duh almost blond moment" never thought of fishing line. Anyhow my clump is still well a clump......

Thats why it hasn't grown much. If you spread it out it will take off and soon you won't know what to do with it. In the 6 months or so I have had mine it has grown from a little golf ball size portion to enough to fill a ten gallon completely! I have transfered it to my other tanks and given it to friends and now I have also sent it to fellow aquarists on here! I still have about three softball size portions of it but I am going to put it in my 55g. Just gotta find the time to do it.

Lol yup im happy as a bee, and ill be sending the shipping fee in the next few days

Thats good. I'm glad you like it. Sounds good about the money.

Ryuu
06-14-2008, 12:43 AM

Oh ive seen this article a few places, forgot all about it ty for the help