PDA

View Full Version : Shy Green terror

shockshockshad
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
My Blue Acara is sort of terrorizing the green terror. The Acara, no matter what I do, steals food from the terror. He (the acara) is aggressive too, pushing her (the terror) out of the stump-like wood I have. She is surviving, but I don't know what to do. The silver dollars even steal food from her. The acara ate from my hand in 3 days. The Terror hasn't come to the surface in 3 weeks. What should I do?

Nick89
06-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Try feeding one side of tank the same time you feed the other side of the tank. If not then put the GT in a different tank, if not available then put a divider in and keep them separate.

shockshockshad
06-13-2008, 11:48 PM
I have tried, and the acara seems to think the food that the terror wants is better than the food I give him.

Sounguru
06-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Tell the Acara to sit and no everytime it goes for the food ..... Oh wait that is the kids or was that the dog.. I can never remember.

Actually I had the same problem back when I was running a lot more tanks than I have now and what I did was one night I turned off the lights, bagged the fish so they thought they were being moved, rearranged the tank and then released them again.

Worked like a champ both fish calmed down set up their own areas and life was happy after that. Now this was a last ditch effort and a lot of people might be shocked at the stress placed on the fish, but I had no place to move either fish to at the time.

Wish ya luck and let us know how it works out for ya.

Billythefish
06-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Tell the Acara to sit and no everytime it goes for the food ..... Oh wait that is the kids or was that the dog.. I can never remember.

Actually I had the same problem back when I was running a lot more tanks than I have now and what I did was one night I turned off the lights, bagged the fish so they thought they were being moved, rearranged the tank and then released them again.

Worked like a champ both fish calmed down set up their own areas and life was happy after that. Now this was a last ditch effort and a lot of people might be shocked at the stress placed on the fish, but I had no place to move either fish to at the time.

Wish ya luck and let us know how it works out for ya.
That is a good idea it worked with my bp's

shockshockshad
06-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I will try that Sounguru! Thanks!

Lady Hobbs
06-14-2008, 06:54 PM
It kills me to see a fish terrorized by another. I hated it when my angels did it and hated it when my firemouths did it to the weaken ones. It breaks your heart to know they are trapped with no escaping.

I would redo the tank for one thing and change it all around to break up their spots. Add a lot more hiding area's......plants, rocks, wood and see if it helps. You may have to put up a divider for a couple weeks to see if they will settle down and be willing to share their space.

Sounguru
06-14-2008, 07:43 PM
No prob just let us know who it works out....

shockshockshad
06-14-2008, 11:03 PM
But what about the silver dollars? They can't be trapped on one side, can they?

Billythefish
06-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Gt's can hold there own just be sure to get some food to it

kaoticice
06-15-2008, 06:44 AM
But what about the silver dollars? They can't be trapped on one side, can they?
I think you might have to do that temporary. I found GT to be pretty shy, especially towards human figure. But once it accumulate, it should be a king of the tank, in this case a queen. How big is the GT at the moment, i've had success with placing it in a large breeding net.

Ed

shockshockshad
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
It is about 2 inches.