PDA

View Full Version : black lighting

Wallyfish
12-06-2006, 05:37 AM
I've been looking for a small 6" flourescent black light to mount on the wall behind my tank. You guys wouldn't believe how tough it is to find a blacklight that small. I've been to a lamp store, wal-mart, 2 hardware stores, petco, 2 computer parts stores, party city, and spencers. Still haven't found one. :-( Any suggestions?

Slinky_Bass
12-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Do you definitely want a black light tube, cause you also get black light bulbs.
Since its not going in your hood it might be an idea. Check out this link, they have a nice variety (sizewise) on offer.

http://www.buylighting.com/

kimmers318
12-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Check out the halloween stores....I would have suggested Spencers but see you have already been there. Most lights are probably going to be longer than 6" since that is a small light for most uses.

jeffs99dime
12-06-2006, 02:24 PM
hey. what's up. just to let you know, i used to have a black light over my aquarium. the only problem with a black light is that you will be able to see all the particles or any debris in the water that you may have. i switched to blue l.e.d.'s instead that i retrofitted into the hood. i would advise not going with a blacklight, unless you want to see dust and dirt particles in the water.--jeff

Wallyfish
12-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks for letting me know that jeff. The reason why I am looking for a black light is because I read somewhere that glofish look really cool in that lighting. It is unfortunate that I don't know of any halloween stores. I think I will try Michaels (a craft store) and an electrical part specialty store tomorrow. I really need a small light. I think a bulb or larger light will look cheesy. If I have to resort to the internet I will probably have to use http://www.blacklight.com. Blacklights that size are used to detect stains, and check currency, and IDs apparently.

kenyth
03-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Don't they sell a blacklight tube that fits your existing flourescent fixture?

Genirous
04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Hello Wallyfish,
I don't know how long in mm is what you are looking for, but in T5 fluorescent mini, there are blacklight bulbs in 4W-150mm, 6W-226mm and 8W-302mm..!
You can see the models here (http://www.prismaecat.lighting.philips.com/LightSite/Whirlwind.aspx?eca=LEPPLG&cpf=GREPEL&stg=ACT&lan=EN+&ecu=SPL%7cPHL%7cGX&nav_key=1587&t=2&tree=0&scr_md=1111&nav=gr_el&loc=gr_el&leftnav=1_1_2_7)
In Chinese T8 fluorescent I have seen in 10W-340mm...
Hope I helped you a bit...

Lady Hobbs
04-07-2007, 01:30 PM
I knew someone who tried that and they said their tank looked horrible. You know how a black light will magnify every tiny speck on your clothing? It does the same in an aquarium.

Drumachine09
04-07-2007, 02:11 PM
I knew someone who tried that and they said their tank looked horrible. You know how a black light will magnify every tiny speck on your clothing? It does the same in an aquarium.

Yea, it makes your tank look absoloutly horrifying. The lights will light up every single little peice of whatever thats floating around in your tank, and its not even very cool looking.

cocoa_pleco
04-09-2007, 05:09 AM
my problem wasnt debris. It made the aquarium look dark and like its a cave 1000m below sea level.

ChurchofAdam
06-14-2007, 02:23 PM
yeah, I can't imagine it looking good... but incidentally I have a small fluorescent blacklight that I got from Spencer's. Do you guys have that in the US? I don't have it in front of me but I think it was about 16"

salman
07-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I use a pink light. It's the best. My Discus love it!

Dave-id
07-20-2007, 06:49 PM
If you're up for a little bit of wiring, they also make ultraviolet LEDs. They might be easier to find than a tiny fluorescent tube.