PDA

View Full Version : Glassurfing and more

Wallyfish
12-06-2006, 04:45 AM
Hey guys. I just did my first water change for my 10 gal tank. It was a simple 30% change. Added aquasafe, and bacteria starter to the water that I was adding and put a tiny bit of shock in the old water because I was scared that I might change the temperature or something and stress out the fish. Then I gave my glofish some freeze dried bloodworms which they LOVE. :malelovies: I'm guessing that my fish must be really happy. They are schooling together and surfing across my filters water current against the front glass. Its really cool to see. I think it's thier way of saying "thanks for the water". :D It looks like the more fresh the water is, the more often they play together. I need to get another glofish or 2 though because 1 of my glofish died less than 24 hours of being in the tank. I'm assuming that he was an unhealthy/sick fish as the other ones are thriving. I did get them from a walmart, which I often question the quality of thier fish and care (I work at walmart). I probably won't be getting more fish until I feel confident that my tank has lots of helpful bacteria. My current favorite addition would be 3 fancy guppies. I care too much for my glofish to risk bringing a betta in that might go postal on them at any moment.

Cichlid_Man
12-06-2006, 11:46 AM
Sounds like things really started off well for you?
I am glad.
I also see my fish respond after a water change. They just seem more active and "happier".

Well, continue what you are doing. Thos water changes are very much needed every week and also make sure to keep your filter clean too.
Good luck!

Did you check all your water perameters to make sure that fish didn't die of high ammonia or nitrite?

less than 24 hours is quick....I would have brought the fish back...
Anyway, good luck with the fish!

Lady Hobbs
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Fish do love those water changes and perk right up. Remember they are stuck in a glass house with no where to go to get to clean water and it's up to us to make sure they have the best conditions possible.

Wallyfish
12-07-2006, 03:24 AM
I'm checking the ammonia levels every couple days with test strips that I bought. I also check my other stuff like nitrite, nitrate, ph, hardness etc.. with another test strip kit. I'm feeling kinda like a chemist. My tank ran for about a week before I got fish, however I didn't cycle it. Danios are supposed to be pretty hearty. I think they will be fine. I'll try to keep the ammonia levels under control with regular water changes. I didn't want to bring my fish to the service desk and ask for my money back. Its hard to explain but it just seems kinda weird.

jeffs99dime
12-07-2006, 03:31 AM
i don't want to come off harsh but, you should get rid of the strips and get a liquid test kit. liquid is way more accurate and dependable.

Wallyfish
12-08-2006, 02:31 AM
I thought that the test kits were probably more accurate. I opted for the test strips because I thought that they would be simpler to use but still effective. I hope thats not a fish killing decision. :(

f1oored
12-08-2006, 06:09 AM
I started with the test strips too and they are ok for certain things. They will tell you if you have ammonia or nitrites but they aren't as accurate as the liquid test kits. For cycling the strips are fine because you are dealing with high numbers in ammonia and nitrites. Even the test strips will be able to detect these numbers. The liquid kits are not very complex to use and are much more accurate. They cost less in the long run too.

kimmers318
12-08-2006, 07:06 AM
What do you mean by saying you added shock to the tank?
Glad to hear all is going well with the rest of the fish and hope you end up with a great tank!

Wallyfish
12-08-2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry. Ment Stress Coat. Didn't want them to have shock. I'm such a noob :-)